Freshly repaired pump failing before 24hrs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my Nero 3 back from AI yesterday. They told me the controller was faulty and replaced it. Got home from work today to find the pump not running. Tried to re set, checked the pump for blockages and made sure the propeller was moving smoothly, can't connect it to the app unless I connect directly and when I can get it to come online it will only run an idle speed of 950gph(according to app). As soon as I try to link it back to my schedule the pump stalls and controller starts flashing red light.

Its doing exactly what it did when I sent it out to AI. This pump only ran for a couple months before issues started initially.

Disappointed is an understatement at this point. For something to fail after less then 24hrs operating after being returned by the manufacturer for repairs is unacceptable in my book.

Has anyone else experienced failures like this from AI nero pumps?

stefan09w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that you are also experiencing an issue with your Nero 3. I'm in the process of doing the exact same thing. My pump issues are identical to yours. Contacted AI support last night. I'm curious if I will have the same outcome. Have they help you with a solution yet?

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that you are also experiencing an issue with your Nero 3. I'm in the process of doing the exact same thing. My pump issues are identical to yours. Contacted AI support last night. I'm curious if I will have the same outcome. Have they help you with a solution yet?
I got the reply from AI that I was waiting for thismorning. This is 6 days since I've had the pump back and many messages back and forth with screenshots from the my AI app to show them what was going on. They have finally said they are going to replace my pump and controller and renew my 1 year warranty. I have to give them a call tonight to get it all worked out.

Best advice I can give you is stay on top of them and try to be as descriptive with whatever you are doing or experiencing as you can be. I can understand that they were doubtful and thought it may just be user error since they had just sent this pump back to me with a new controller and they had no indications the pump was faulty. I had to take photos of where my pumps are located in the tank, screenshots of my working pumps schedule and screenshots of my non working pump. Funny part was my app would show the pump was running when it was dead in the tank.

I'm glad they are doing right by me and I really really hope the pump they are going to send me works as well as my other Nero 3 thats been running flawlessly for almost 11months now.

stefan09w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pump is roughly a year and a half old(I might be SOL). Sadly I'm in the process of building a larger tank, and I don't think I will be going with AI pumps on the build. I hope your new pump works well for you. Its funny because I read a post on reef2reef a few days ago about a faulty Nero pump(a post that I believe you also responded in) to come home a few days later and find my pump had died... It was flashing red. I took it apart and soaked it for an hour and completely cleaned it. Followed the AI steps online for reconnecting and it went into the idle which you stated above. A few moments later back to flashing red. I took it apart a second time, and reconnected again and now it will not idle. It will attempt to run three times and start flashing red again now matter what I do.

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pump is roughly a year and a half old(I might be SOL). Sadly I'm in the process of building a larger tank, and I don't think I will be going with AI pumps on the build. I hope your new pump works well for you. Its funny because I read a post on reef2reef a few days ago about a faulty Nero pump(a post that I believe you also responded in) to come home a few days later and find my pump had died... It was flashing red. I took it apart and soaked it for an hour and completely cleaned it. Followed the AI steps online for reconnecting and it went into the idle which you stated above. A few moments later back to flashing red. I took it apart a second time, and reconnected again and now it will not idle. It will attempt to run three times and start flashing red again now matter what I do.
I just got off the phone with them. Im a little worried to say the least. The remedy they are providing is to send out a brand new Nero 3 with a return shipping label as well. They also had to take down a credit card number and charge a non refundable 1$ fee to make sure the card is valid. Now ill have 30 days to send back my broken pump once the replacement arrives. If they recieve my pump and can't find issues(they clearly state this can only be determined by their techs) i will be charged the full price for the new pump. So tonight ill be going through all the steps over again while my wife records it so we have documented evidence of the issues that are persisting on my pump.

Ill be honest this is a very scamie feeling experience. They could get this back and not test it or not try to run a schedule on it and say its fine then charge me for the new pump(they have already told me they didn't see any issues with the motor when they had it a week ago and had replaced the controller, this was the first thing they brought up when I contacted them after getting the pump back and telling them I still had the issue). Im going to do everything I can to backup my case because this could end up with me only having 1 of the pumps and having paid for it 2x over. That obviously would not be ok and as far as I'm concerned permanently taint all AI and Ecotech products for me.

I also wasn't aware but found out when I called that ecotech owns AI. If this turns into a sour experience ill be moving away from all of their products.

Fingers crossed that this works out I will keep you posted. Im currently 12$ in to getting this issue resolved. 11$ for shipping to AI for initial repairs and now the 1$ charge to verify i gave them a working card in the scenario they decide to charge me for a whole new unit.

stefan09w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man. I will be following along. Between all the back and forth with customer service and AI they could've probably just sent you a pump by now free of charge. Its a fine line between protecting the integrity of the company and delivering great customer service.

I sent them in video of my pumps operation and a picture of it disassembled last night. so we shall see.

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well back to bad news my other Nero pump thats never had any issues was dead in the water thismorning. Same issues as when the previous pump failed. Im at the end of my rope these pumps are trash. Im going to see if my exchange with AI can go a little more smoothly this time.

Contemplating putting them up for sale once I get this worked out and moving on to MP10s or some other powerhead for my aquarium I just can't rely on these pumps to stay working at all.

Here is a quick video from the old pump after they sent it back to me and claimed they swapped the controller and tested the pump. My other pump is now doing the same thing. We shouldn't have to be replacing pumps in less then a year from initial purchase. My pumps are very well taken care of and cleaned monthly I can not see anything im doing being the reason that these issues keep occurring.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what the size of your tank is, but a ReefWave 25 might work great (also a different, more natural kind of wave motion with a gyre). Red Sea replaced a defective controller over email within 24 hours (and without having to provide a credit card).

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what the size of your tank is, but a ReefWave 25 might work great (also a different, more natural kind of wave motion with a gyre). Red Sea replaced a defective controller over email within 24 hours (and without having to provide a credit card).
Thanks for the advise I may end up going that direction, my tank is just under 40 gallons 24x24x16tall. I don't usually use a wave mode on my pumps I run them on a random reef crest mode. When these pumps work they are great they are just completly unreliable and dealing with AI support is way more of a hassle then it should be.

I'll keep posting my updates on here with how this process goes the second time around.

Attachments

• 20220313_120425.jpg
    20220313_120425.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 32

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well back to bad news my other Nero pump thats never had any issues was dead in the water thismorning. Same issues as when the previous pump failed. Im at the end of my rope these pumps are trash. Im going to see if my exchange with AI can go a little more smoothly this time.

Contemplating putting them up for sale once I get this worked out and moving on to MP10s or some other powerhead for my aquarium I just can't rely on these pumps to stay working at all.

Here is a quick video from the old pump after they sent it back to me and claimed they swapped the controller and tested the pump. My other pump is now doing the same thing. We shouldn't have to be replacing pumps in less then a year from initial purchase. My pumps are very well taken care of and cleaned monthly I can not see anything im doing being the reason that these issues keep occurring.

AI and Exotech are the same company. You’ll be dealing with the same people when issues arise, and they will.

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI and Exotech are the same company. You’ll be dealing with the same people when issues arise, and they will.
Yeah I'm aware but as far as my lights that are ecotech go they are bulletproof. I love my xr15s and have never had an issue with them im currently trying to find a 3rd. Only negative ive heard about the MP10s/40s is you have to keep up on cleaning the wetsides and they will have bearing failure if they run at max for sustained periods. I don't think those problems will affect me much with a monthly cleaning schedule and they would run under 80%.

I feel like AI is the budget brand for ecotech but as far as a difference in products goes its like buying something from an aquarium specialty store vs getting something from the pet section at Walmart.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm aware but as far as my lights that are ecotech go they are bulletproof. I love my xr15s and have never had an issue with them im currently trying to find a 3rd. Only negative ive heard about the MP10s/40s is you have to keep up on cleaning the wetsides and they will have bearing failure if they run at max for sustained periods. I don't think those problems will affect me much with a monthly cleaning schedule and they would run under 80%.

I feel like AI is the budget brand for ecotech but as far as a difference in products goes its like buying something from an aquarium specialty store vs getting something from the pet section at Walmart.
Do a quick search here or on any other reef site for the countless issues that Mobius brings to the table.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 33.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back