Freshwater Fish meat as food?

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fish regularly and I'm wondering if there's any reason that freshwater fish meat wouldn't be a good source of food for my reef tank if I blended up some scraps and froze it like regular frozen fish food.

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is the nutrition content/composition of freshwater fish is generally vastly different than saltwater fish, with freshwater fish typically being relatively high in fat, low in protein, and not a great fit nutrients-wise.

I know a few others on the forum (such as @lion king ) have discussed some freshwater vs saltwater fish before, so maybe they can lend some more specific insight, but that’s my simple understanding of it.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st things to considered; which species of fish you want to use as food, and which species of fish you are feeding. Two main points that fresh water fish may not be right, is some species contain a high amount of thiaminese, which bind vitamin B1. This is more deadly to some species vs others; like lions, eels, and other ambush predators. Fresh water fish can also contain the wrong fats; to make it simple, a higher balance of omega 6 vs omega 3, sometimes in great amounts. If you are using it in a blend with other properly nutrient dense foods, then it would not present a problem. As a dominant part of the diet or in the cases of more sensitive species, it could present a problem. Some species of trout and bass for instance, can be a suitable inclusion. Smelt and minnows for instance can be problematic, as they are high in thiaminese. Some freshwater fish may be too high in carbs and low in fats and protein for carnivores but may be suitable for herbivores. Not an easy answer, but if you are including other high protein foods like squid and other fatty fish like salmon, may be ok to include; but never as a dominant.

OP
OP
cwerner

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. The majority of what I would use as scraps would be panfish such as Bluegills, Perch, Crappie, etc.

Thought it sounds like this could perhaps be a supplement, but never the main course for an extended period of time.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1st things to considered; which species of fish you want to use as food, and which species of fish you are feeding. Two main points that fresh water fish may not be right, is some species contain a high amount of thiaminese, which bind vitamin B1. This is more deadly to some species vs others; like lions, eels, and other ambush predators. Fresh water fish can also contain the wrong fats; to make it simple, a higher balance of omega 6 vs omega 3, sometimes in great amounts. If you are using it in a blend with other properly nutrient dense foods, then it would not present a problem. As a dominant part of the diet or in the cases of more sensitive species, it could present a problem. Some species of trout and bass for instance, can be a suitable inclusion. Smelt and minnows for instance can be problematic, as they are high in thiaminese. Some freshwater fish may be too high in carbs and low in fats and protein for carnivores but may be suitable for herbivores. Not an easy answer, but if you are including other high protein foods like squid and other fatty fish like salmon, may be ok to include; but never as a dominant.
Agree and many are fatty with oils. For shrimp , Mysids are saltwater variety and as mentioned, mysiS in fresh often from British Columbia and some lakes and streams

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. The majority of what I would use as scraps would be panfish such as Bluegills, Perch, Crappie, etc.

Thought it sounds like this could perhaps be a supplement, but never the main course for an extended period of time.

I would have no problem including those in a mix.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back