Fritz Salt Issues?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Heating increases evaporation which in turn allows more water availability for precipitation to occur.

Don't want to argue - but - Most 'water containers' are sealed - I dont think evaporation was the issue @Randy Holmes-Farley was talking about. PS - I think you meant less water availability (i.e. concentrations of CA etc would rise as some of the water evaporates?

adrianr514

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't want to argue - but - Most 'water containers' are sealed - I dont think evaporation was the issue @Randy Holmes-Farley was talking about. PS - I think you meant less water availability (i.e. concentrations of CA etc would rise as some of the water evaporates?
I would have to argue that your average reefer mixes their salts in an open top container like brute trash cans or buckets.

ss30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Fritz for the first time this week for my water change, mixed in an open bin left it mixing for around 12 hrs didn't add a heater( it was around 3 degree C lower than my tank temp) then did the water change, I've had no problems with my tank and no residue left in the bin I mixed it in.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Fritz sale for a couple years now, but lately I've been having issues with montipora paling out. And I've heard that other users are having similar issues. Does anyone know what might be going on? Going to switch to Red Sea Blue bucket as I've exhausted all other possibilities. At first I thought my caulerpa went sexual so I pulled it all and left only chaeto. Then I thought my toadstool was releasing toxins from me fragging it. So I pulled him out. Replaced my water mixing containers with grey brute trashcans as I thought maybe the black ones might be releasing stuff into the water as I found out they were freezing temp resistant. Afterwords I did a series of water changes and everything seems to be at a standstill. Not getting any worse but doesn't appear to be getting better.
Only thing I haven't done yet, but am doing today, is changing out all my RO/DI filters including new RO membranes. Was getting 0 TDS water but thought maybe something that the meter doesn't read was getting through as I've had a small algae outbreak.

If I had any hair left i'd be pulling it out.
Any and all suggestions welcome.

Parameters have stayed pretty consistent, these were the numbers as of last night
Sg 1.026
Alk 8.1
Calcium 440
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2.5 PPM
Phosphate .03 PPM
Temp 78.2 depended on the day

Thanks in advance and here is some glitter to brighten up your day!
tumblr_lxj3mrRFIq1qgawlzo1_400.gif
I think I found your twin. He don't look good......heeeee

To much glitter, maybe?

Screenshot_2019-09-13-20-43-10-1.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would have to argue that your average reefer mixes their salts in an open top container like brute trash cans or buckets.
I thought Brute trash cans had lids - granted - they aren't water tight - but still they should not evaporate fast enough to cause precipitation. Maybe I just misunderstood - I thought the question was 'does heat cause precipitation' - To me the answer is - short term no - long term 'maybe' - due to evaporation (I mean if you left a quart of Saltwater on a table for a year - there would probably be a precipitate (or perhaps even no water left - only salt).

but - if you are trying to dissolve lets say the usual type of saltwater in ice cold water or water at 80 degrees - it will dissolve more completely with less precipitate at the warmer temp.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Useless fact, I think.

Not sure what you mean - what is a useless fact - Your article shows that there would be 'less precipitation' in warm water - which is what I was asking about. Or conversely - that 'warming' the water should cause less precipitation - not more.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It isn’t. Calcium carbonate is one of those minerals whose solubility declines as the temperature rises. That is why pump impellers and heaters often get coated with calcium carbonate when other surfaces do not.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you mean - what is a useless fact - Your article shows that there would be 'less precipitation' in warm water - which is what I was asking about. Or conversely - that 'warming' the water should cause less precipitation - not more.

Calcium carbonate is less soluble so more prone to precipitate from warmer water.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I discuss the detailed reasons behind the solubility vs temp relationship for calcium carbonate in seawater here:

It is more complicated than most salts, even those that are less soluble in warm water, because the the concentration of carbonate in seawater also changes with temperature due to more bicarbonate becoming carbonate.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It isn’t. Calcium carbonate is one of those minerals whose solubility declines as the temperature rises. That is why pump impellers and heaters often get coated with calcium carbonate when other surfaces do not.
Can you provide references - I'm just curious. - I assume CaCo3 is a reverse soluable salt

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I discuss the detailed reasons behind the solubility vs temp relationship for calcium carbonate in seawater here:

It is more complicated than most salts, even those that are less soluble in warm water, because the the concentration of carbonate in seawater also changes with temperature due to more bicarbonate becoming carbonate.

Unfortunately - my browser sayd - I cant get into this sit

ss30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Fritz sale for a couple years now, but lately I've been having issues with montipora paling out. And I've heard that other users are having similar issues. Does anyone know what might be going on? Going to switch to Red Sea Blue bucket as I've exhausted all other possibilities. At first I thought my caulerpa went sexual so I pulled it all and left only chaeto. Then I thought my toadstool was releasing toxins from me fragging it. So I pulled him out. Replaced my water mixing containers with grey brute trashcans as I thought maybe the black ones might be releasing stuff into the water as I found out they were freezing temp resistant. Afterwords I did a series of water changes and everything seems to be at a standstill. Not getting any worse but doesn't appear to be getting better.
Only thing I haven't done yet, but am doing today, is changing out all my RO/DI filters including new RO membranes. Was getting 0 TDS water but thought maybe something that the meter doesn't read was getting through as I've had a small algae outbreak.

If I had any hair left i'd be pulling it out.
Any and all suggestions welcome.

Parameters have stayed pretty consistent, these were the numbers as of last night
Sg 1.026
Alk 8.1
Calcium 440
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2.5 PPM
Phosphate .03 PPM
Temp 78.2 depended on the day

Thanks in advance and here is some glitter to brighten up your day!
tumblr_lxj3mrRFIq1qgawlzo1_400.gif
As this thread has gone off in many directions I just wanted to ask how's you tank now Crabs? have you sorted the problem? is it the salt or your water supply or something else?

Back