Frogfish tank

BobbyBPG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I recently moved my fish out of a nano tank I have and would like to make it a species specific tank for a Wartskin Frogfish and my corals. I am setting up a small 3 gallon pico cube for feeder shrimp. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations places to buy saltwater feeder shrimp and if anyone has any success with breeding them. I have breed freshwater ghost shrimp in the past and from what I read these will not be good for the long term sustainability for the Frogfish. I would like to eventually ween it onto frozen food but I know this may not be an option if the fish is finicky. Also any recommendations for a reputable place to buy frogfish if not I will mostly likely ask my LFS to order one for me once they are available.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet for a warty would be from Divers Den. There they have at least conditioned them somewhat and they are actually eating, usually ghost shrimp. Any other source would be hit or miss if they would even eat at all. I feed my warty ghosties and mollies. Most nutritional info you read online is from hobbyist that frankly don't know what they are talking about, me included. What I do know, I've never seen a warty live that long once weaned to dead food only, so trying to compare feeding ghosties to a dead warty really doesn't make sense in the long run. Also something I learned from eatbreakfast here is that ghosties actually live across fresh, brackish, and marine waters. Since then I've done my research, and though mostly sold as fresh water shrimp, they actually do live in salt as well. Ghosties are safer as to not spread disease and parasites. Gut load them and enhance them with efa and multivits. If you are set on salt water shrimp, you can get them at livebrineshrimp.com

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I recently moved my fish out of a nano tank I have and would like to make it a species specific tank for a Wartskin Frogfish and my corals. I am setting up a small 3 gallon pico cube for feeder shrimp. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations places to buy saltwater feeder shrimp and if anyone has any success with breeding them. I have breed freshwater ghost shrimp in the past and from what I read these will not be good for the long term sustainability for the Frogfish. I would like to eventually ween it onto frozen food but I know this may not be an option if the fish is finicky. Also any recommendations for a reputable place to buy frogfish if not I will mostly likely ask my LFS to order one for me once they are available.
I got my painted black angler from "that fish place." He had been very healthy and active (as much as an angler can be). I taught him to eat off the stick in 4 days. I now mix live food and frozen food.

I get the saltwater grass shrimp from livebrineshrimp.com. It ends up being about $42 for 100. I keep them in a 10 gallon and feed them small pellets. I'll feed the pellets and then an hour later scoop out 5 or so and toss them in. The lion and angler usually get at least one each right away, but the others get hunted down eventually.
5d59d3607d4789f6185519d70dffd232.jpg
ec7aea66e12fe06b5eef8c15f9553608.jpg

OP
OP
BobbyBPG

BobbyBPG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet for a warty would be from Divers Den. There they have at least conditioned them somewhat and they are actually eating, usually ghost shrimp. Any other source would be hit or miss if they would even eat at all. I feed my warty ghosties and mollies. Most nutritional info you read online is from hobbyist that frankly don't know what they are talking about, me included. What I do know, I've never seen a warty live that long once weaned to dead food only, so trying to compare feeding ghosties to a dead warty really doesn't make sense in the long run. Also something I learned from eatbreakfast here is that ghosties actually live across fresh, brackish, and marine waters. Since then I've done my research, and though mostly sold as fresh water shrimp, they actually do live in salt as well. Ghosties are safer as to not spread disease and parasites. Gut load them and enhance them with efa and multivits. If you are set on salt water shrimp, you can get them at livebrineshrimp.com

Ok thanks for the input I'll most likely just get some ghost shrimp and try acclimating them to saltwater as they are more available at my LFS than other shrimp. If that doesn't work I'll just order them online.

OP
OP
BobbyBPG

BobbyBPG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my painted black angler from "that fish place." He had been very healthy and active (as much as an angler can be). I taught him to eat off the stick in 4 days. I now mix live food and frozen food.

I get the saltwater grass shrimp from livebrineshrimp.com. It ends up being about $42 for 100. I keep them in a 10 gallon and feed them small pellets. I'll feed the pellets and then an hour later scoop out 5 or so and toss them in. The lion and angler usually get at least one each right away, but the others get hunted down eventually.
5d59d3607d4789f6185519d70dffd232.jpg
ec7aea66e12fe06b5eef8c15f9553608.jpg

Nice tank! I really like how dark that frogfish is. I looked into painted as well because they are a little cheaper but they get bigger than I would like for my tank. I am battle between getting the ghost shrimp but that prices seems very fair especially for 100 of the marine feeders so I may just do that to be on the safe side.

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you feed?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! I really like how dark that frogfish is. I looked into painted as well because they are a little cheaper but they get bigger than I would like for my tank. I am battle between getting the ghost shrimp but that prices seems very fair especially for 100 of the marine feeders so I may just do that to be on the safe side.
At the store you are going to pay usually $10 for 12. So just under $1 each. I pay just over 25 cents each with the shipping, and they are saltwater. They also have saltwater mosquito fish.

I'm trying to feed frozen mainly, and feed live as a treat so the angler and lion can stay interested.

Also, who said anglers can't swim, lol?

OP
OP
BobbyBPG

BobbyBPG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the store you are going to pay usually $10 for 12. So just under $1 each. I pay just over 25 cents each with the shipping, and they are saltwater. They also have saltwater mosquito fish.

I'm trying to feed frozen mainly, and feed live as a treat so the angler and lion can stay interested.

Also, who said anglers can't swim, lol?

Yea I live in a small state and there's not to many good fish stores around I'm not even sure if one around me sell saltwater shrimp besides cleaner shrimp so I will most likely order them.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 58 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back