Frogspawn dying off while other Euphylia are happy?

Yamaha1634

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the start of a Euphylia garden with a torch, Frogspawn and hammer.

Hammer has been in for around 6 months, Frogspawn for 2 months and torch for 1 month. All are in the same area with low flow, have 2 ai 16hds over my 50gal tang running the pirates of the Caribbean settings.

All 3 Euphylia seemed to have limited polyp extension so i added a powerhead to add some flow and that improved the hammer and torch. Then went to my LFS and they suggested my phosphates may be high so recommended rowaphos which has been in for around 10 days now and has improved the hammer and torch further but the Frogspawn seems to be in a decline still.

ph 8.2
Nitrates 0 with API
Magnesium 1600
Calcium 360
All 8.6
Salinity 1.025

Don't currently have a phosphate test and i know the nitrate API kit is unreliable. From reading I'm guessing my nitrates may be a little low? I feed 3 times a day most days and my filtration only consists of a skimmer (Bubble Magus 3.5) and some maxspect nano tech balls. No floss or socks so I'm surprised my nitrates stay so low... I do have rowaphos, a small amount of carbon and a small bag of purigen.

Fish are only clowns, cardinals and a blenny so don't think it's being hassled. I have 4 small hermits and a skunk cleaner shrimp and a few snails.

Other corals
Duncan (gone from 3 to 13 heads in 7 months)
Candy cane (from 1 to 3 heads in 6 months)
Pipe organ
Monticap
3 birds nest frags
3 rhodactis mushrooms
Torch
Hammer

Have attached a picture of how he looked after a week in the tank, seemed happy so I glued it in place and it has been declining since...

IMG_20220611_113417.jpg IMG_20220511_193004.jpg

animan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to move it somewhere else in the tank. It may not be liking the current flow and/or lighting condition.

OP
OP
Y

Yamaha1634

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try dosing amino acids. Red Sea AB+ is excellent at giving euphyllia and other corals a boost. Worked for me! Good luck!!
Started dosing the AB+ 2 days ago (3rd dose this morning) and it does appear to have improved slightly, still not looking great but a positive reaction i think!

Also turned off my skimmer for a few days to see if i can get nutrients up a bit.

I bought a red sea nitrate and phosphate test kit but got it home and it had expired 06/21 so need to go back and swap it today hopefully! See where my nitrates and phosphates really are!

OP
OP
Y

Yamaha1634

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swapped my test kits today.

Phosphate 0.04
Nitrates 0.0

Absolutely no nitrates at all!!!

How do i raise them?

My skimmer is off and I'm currently running no mechanical filtration at all! Only biological. This has been the case for 2 days now and I've been dosing 8.4ml of AB+ for 3 days....

jaime31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry idk if it’s too late but I had the same problem. Low nitrates and phos
My recommendations are to raise your calcium
Along with nitrates and phosphates… idk what your lfs is talking about but a guy at mine told me the same thing “noo noo LPS’s don’t need phos and nitrates” this is when I knew that they want my stuff to die so I can come back, SMH!
you might hear a lot that lps’s don’t need to be fed. This is because they get their food from the light and the nutrients in the water. If not then you have to feed and dose the AB+. Doing both wouldn’t hurt either. Having the nutrients sky high is better than at zero imo. Open your skimmer cup or just take off the waste hose attached and let it run back into the tank. You leave the skimmer on for more aeration in the water. Good luck

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.9%
Back