Frogspawn help - one head not opening

diabolical_clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I'm a beginner and bought my first pieces of corals over the last few weeks. One of my recent additions, a pink frogspawn with two heads, was doing well in the first day or two, but in the past 24 hours, refused to open one of the heads, but the other head is fully extended and seems to be doing well. I have a very small bioload and recently changed the water, so I feel like it's something going on with that head in particular.

I've attached a few photos here. I have read that it could be a worms issue, and I did notice that in the center, there is a white ball of stringy stuff - could this be the worm? I've dipped the coral upon purchasing and I could potentially dip again. Thanks in advance!

Overview.jpg Side.jpg Zoomed in.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

Sorry about the troubles. The first thing I would check is you water parameters. Especially salinity, temp and alk. Does the coral look like it did at the store? I think the one head may just be irritated, but the other head could use a bit of extension as well.

if water is good, give a day or 2 to settle in. If it gets worse maybe another dip and move to a bit more light and flow.

OP
OP
diabolical_clownfish

diabolical_clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. In the first two days, the coral didn't look that much different than from the store and the other head extended about the same length. I took those photos in the late morning - so by early afternoon, the other (open) head extended a bit more.

I figured that if it was a water issue, it would affect both heads equally, so that was really weird. I will definitely keep an eye on it for the next day or two and see what happens.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 68 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back