Frogspawn help

Cole nelson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had my frogspawn coral for about 2 1/2 years and it hasn’t grown at all, I purchased it with three heads and it still only has three heads, the coral seems very healthy as it is always nice and open and is full of color, it’s my favorite coral and I am just wondering how to get this frogspawn to grow. I have tried many different locations in the tank but it seems to be happiest In a medium flow area near the bottom. All the other corals in my tank have been growing at a steady rate except this one (other corals include many different types of Zoanthids, GSP, mushrooms, monti, acans, and stylophora)

I’m running a 50 gal tank with a current USA orbit marine brand led light system and religiously maintain my magnesium, calcium, and alkalinity levels

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried reef roids or something similar? I have two torches and two hammers (same family as frogspawn). I feed reef roids and reef frenzy. I’ve seen torch growth in 3 months.

Also, when you keep moving things around, the coral has to adjust. So just keep in one place. They seem to do fine just about anywhere in the tank IME.

OP
OP
Cole nelson

Cole nelson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried reef roids or something similar? I have two torches and two hammers (same family as frogspawn). I feed reef roids and reef frenzy. I’ve seen torch growth in 3 months.

Also, when you keep moving things around, the coral has to adjust. So just keep in one place. They seem to do fine just about anywhere in the tank IME.

My frogspawn has been in the same spot for around 6 months now, but I have not tried reef roids or coral frenzy. Once in a blue moon I’ll spot feed it Mysis and it reacts well to that. Maybe I will increase feeding and try coral frenzy.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My frogspawn has been in the same spot for around 6 months now, but I have not tried reef roids or coral frenzy. Once in a blue moon I’ll spot feed it Mysis and it reacts well to that. Maybe I will increase feeding and try coral frenzy.
What are your parameters at, what other type of corals do you have, do you see growth in other lps corals??? A picture might help as well

Alex716796

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your phosphate levels? If your levels are slightly high phosphates can limit the ability for corals to build new skeleton which could be why yours hasn’t as it will have to build skeleton in order to grow

OP
OP
Cole nelson

Cole nelson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters at, what other type of corals do you have, do you see growth in other lps corals??? A picture might help as well

Calc- 400 ppm
KH- 8dKH
Phosphate- 0
Nitrate- 0
PH- 8.0
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0

OP
OP
Cole nelson

Cole nelson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QUOTE=
7AD2808E-209B-4516-925C-67756D152468.png
"Auto-pilot, post: 6037052, member: 107253"]What are your parameters at, what other type of corals do you have, do you see growth in other lps corals??? A picture might help as well[/QUOTE]

Salinity is at 1.025 as well

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calc- 400 ppm
KH- 8dKH
Phosphate- 0
Nitrate- 0
PH- 8.0
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
I’m sure someone will say about this but your phosphates and nitrates are at zero which kind of translates to a clean tank. There’s a BRS video about this. While phosphates and nitrates are not the whole of the nutrients in a tank, you’d also have to look at available nutrients in the water column for your corals.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome it looks like he is happy, I agree with Scott You might want to try and bump your phosphates and nitrates. If they are at zero they won't grow, everything else looks good. I have a clump the size of a basketball and it grows like crazy! I keep Phospates at .05-.1 and nitrates at 5 to 10 ppm.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 113 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back