Frogspawn in Evo 13.5

rantipole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a Fluval Evo 13.5 tank it as is, plus a FluvalSea mini protein skimmer. Do any of you think that I can add a frogspawn coral without adding any additional equipment?

Current stock:
2 ocellaris clowns
1 Rainford's goby
1 Sinularia large frag
1 green polyp leather frag
1 Palau long-tentacled leather frag
1 frag plug of zoas

A Xenia frag is on the way.

TIA,
rant

Efranco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you decide on the frogspawn just try and give it as much room as possible...its pretty aggresive and will sting

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the bigger issue might be if you have enough room in a small tank to place your frogspawn away from other corals. As you probably know, it has long sweeper tentacles, some sites suggest up to 6", and it is definitely an aggressive animal. I have two Evos and think the light and stock flow would be sufficient if you can cordon it off from other corals.

That said, I keep a small torch in one of my tanks and a big hammer in the other.

OP
OP
rantipole

rantipole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I'm already thinking about where to put it so it doesn't sting other corals.

With LPS or SPS corals, you'll need to test and dose for calcium, alkalinity and magnesium.

I test for those already, except for the Mg. I can start doing that. I'm adding a Ca and alk supplement already and that has some Mg. If the test shows it getting low, I'll add additional Mg. Thank you.

Cheers,
rant

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have hammer coral about 6 heads in my IM 10g. I also have another hammer coral that is two heads.. My rainbow acan had leaned over into the coral and I ended up losing two heads of acan. Its not impossible to have frogspawn in a nano but they take up a lot of reality.

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a small piece would be good, but your going to be pruning it a lot. They grow quickly. You can sell the frags pretty easily though.

ReefCub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frogspawn in mine. I just threw him on a magnetic rock in the back and it loves it. Medium flow and light. Its pretty big but having it up in the corner is perfect. Maybe 2.5-3" in diameter.
1d657c67b8da22bcb34bbd6a142841d8.jpg

WarEaglesReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a frogspawn in my Evo, and so far it has not caused any issues. It plays nice with the hammer it's next to, and I've got it away from others that it could potentially sting. It grew fine under the stock lighting, and continues to do well under my upgraded light, so I'd say the equipment you have is sufficient enough. It might outgrow your tank and need to be fragged, but that's not a negative (at least not in my mind).

Also, suuuuuper jealous you're going to Reefapalooza. Christmas in June!

Jake58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frogspawn in mine. I just threw him on a magnetic rock in the back and it loves it. Medium flow and light. Its pretty big but having it up in the corner is perfect. Maybe 2.5-3" in diameter.
1d657c67b8da22bcb34bbd6a142841d8.jpg

What did you do to you pump? What kind of upgrade? Hows it working for you.

Jake58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the bigger issue might be if you have enough room in a small tank to place your frogspawn away from other corals. As you probably know, it has long sweeper tentacles, some sites suggest up to 6", and it is definitely an aggressive animal. I have two Evos and think the light and stock flow would be sufficient if you can cordon it off from other corals.

That said, I keep a small torch in one of my tanks and a big hammer in the other.

You think the stock flow is good enough? Without adding any circulation pumps??? I've found that if I remove mine my water perimeters start to go south.. is there something wrong with my tank you think? Cause I don't want it in my tank. But it's keeping everything good.

Jake58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a frogspawn in my Evo, and so far it has not caused any issues. It plays nice with the hammer it's next to, and I've got it away from others that it could potentially sting. It grew fine under the stock lighting, and continues to do well under my upgraded light, so I'd say the equipment you have is sufficient enough. It might outgrow your tank and need to be fragged, but that's not a negative (at least not in my mind).

Also, suuuuuper jealous you're going to Reefapalooza. Christmas in June!

Been thinking of getting a hammer, but have not added any corals to my tank yet. What do you have to say about the hammer?

MDV39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a frogspawn in my biocube that's doing great, i don't dose anything or have and extra equipment aside from a powerhead but i do weekly water changes

WarEaglesReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been thinking of getting a hammer, but have not added any corals to my tank yet. What do you have to say about the hammer?
Love my hammer! (all the euphyllias are my favorite really since they add such nice movement to the tank) I've got an orange one with gold tips and it's been doing great. Been in my tank for about a month and a half and it's split from one elongated head into two distinct round ones with two tiny new budding heads starting underneath. Haven't noticed it being aggressive towards any of its nearby mates. I feed it Reef Roids about once every week or so along with the other corals and that keeps it growing, but not so much that it'll take over my tank. *knocks on wood*
I did have a standard green/purple hammer die on me, so I know they can be a bit finicky...but this gold one has done fabulously in my tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.4%
Back