Frosty Fish Feast: Do you feed frozen food to your reef tank?

Do you feed frozen food to your reef tank?

• Yes, I regularly feed frozen food to my tank.

Votes: 534 82.0%
  • Yes, I occasionally feed frozen food to my tank.

Votes: 72 11.1%
  • Yes, I rarely feed frozen food to my tank.

Votes: 28 4.3%
  • No, I do not feed frozen food to my tank.

Votes: 16 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

There are many ways to add food to your reef tank including pellets, flakes, live, frozen, liquid, and more. Whether you make your own frozen food or buy it pre-made, please let us know if frozen food is one of the food options that you add to your tank. Additionally, please share any tips that you have discovered for the best frozen blends, ways to feed, times to feed, and any other key details that may be useful to others in the community.

Pro Tip: Consider using a feed mode when adding food to your tank. However, feed mode doesn’t have to mean turning all the pumps off. Maintaining a small bit of flow can keep the food in the water column without the food flowing quickly to the drain.

CJO_FrozenFood.jpeg

Photo by @CJO

IMG_1643-L.jpg

Image via @WVNed

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.

Last edited by a moderator:

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed valves on me return lines to isolate the tank when feeding and be able to keep all wave makers on to suspend food. It also give me the upper hand when adding aminos to keep it strictly in the DT away from the skimmer and other items i feed like this for about 45min and then turn returns back open. Has been working flwlessly without issues and everyone is happy

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a measured amount every day trying to control nitrate and phosphate through food introduction

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, no more thawing for me. Now onto TDO pellets, NLS pellets (clowns) and the rest is a mixture of fully liquid food suspension from Reef Nutrition. Super happy with it. And I can automate it! I still target feed sometimes, because I love my tanks.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed ocean plancton,pe mysis, fish eggs and few others, mostly of ocean origin.
My feed mode is customized to set flow pump to 10%, and decrease powerheads somewhat, but to keep food suspended and fish actively hunting for it. After everything is eaten, I create few min “Storm” to stir particles from the bottom.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This sums up the frozen foods

food1.jpg

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I fed frozen food every meal.

I'd soak the frozen in tank water with some pellets and flakes. Would also add some selcon.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i feed lrs nano reef frenzy daily. maybe 2-3x/week i feed tdo chroma boost pellets/a mix of benepets and reef roids soaked with some reef moonshiner amino acids. 1x/week i feed nori and 1 hikari sinking algae wafer.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are many ways to add food to your reef tank including pellets, flakes, live, frozen, liquid, and more. Whether you make your own frozen food or buy it pre-made, please let us know if frozen food is one of the food options that you add to your tank. Additionally, please share any tips that you have discovered for the best frozen blends, ways to feed, times to feed, and any other key details that may be useful to others in the community.

Pro Tip: Consider using a feed mode when adding food to your tank. However, feed mode doesn’t have to mean turning all the pumps off. Maintaining a small bit of flow can keep the food in the water column without the food flowing quickly to the drain.

CJO_FrozenFood.jpeg

Photo by @CJO

IMG_1643-L.jpg

Image via @WVNed

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.
I dropped some frozen foods, clams, brine shrimp and spirulina, and rotifers in the cup to thaw out before I left for a 2 day work trip this morning and I wonder what it will smell like when I get home tomorrow night? I left the cup on top of the tank to defrost and forgot to put their food into the tank before I ran out to the airport.

Poor fish are going to be disappointed that their food is rotting and uneaten just out of reach.

girl love GIF by McDonald's CZ/SK

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed dry flakes, spirulina and nori but also at least mysis and brine. Other stuff gets shuffled in like calanus, reef caviar, coral gumbo etc. If it's like Rod's that costs more than the premium seafood I eat they don't get it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

• I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Other.

Back