• Frozen, pellets, and flakes

Votes: 10 28.6%

• Total voters

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, when going into this, I decided to do some research into food. coming from fresh water, the gold standard is flakes, but moving to salt I thought "surely Salt Water fish are not so simple!", and my initial research led me to believe I was not too far off the mark, they want only the best, Frozen food and maybe pellets if they aren't too picky or are just too hungry to care, and that they were not happy eating the same thing every day either. so I went out and bought a variety pack of frozen food to feed these guys, because I only wanted to give them the best! however, today when picking up my third salt water fish, since the fish had been at the store over a month I asked what he'd been eating to give the little guy a smoother transition, and of all things, the store attendant told me he was eating flakes! I then told him I only fed frozen typically but I wanted to know specifically what flakes so I could help ease his transition, and he told me that feeding frozen might not be the best thing for my fish. this prompted me to dig a little deeper and it would seem there are a lot of people feeding flakes and pellets, reserving frozen food for special treats. I am curious what people here think. is there something bad about feeding a variety of frozen foods and no flakes or pellets? are flakes the best food for them? basically, the heart of the question I'm getting at is, What is better, flakes, pellets, frozen food, or a combination of a couple. I have no problem buying frozen, as little as my guys are, its easily affordable. a single cube would last these guys a week, and I can buy 20 cubes for like ten bucks, but I don't want to only give them that if its not good for them!

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love LRS's reef frenzy. I use some pellets for my goby and to mix it up varried diet is good. I also get frozen pe misys aswell as sometimes live brine shrimp. The fish love live food, I think it's all about the chase.

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocean nutrition reef flake and dose phosphate 2 times per week
probably a really stupid question, but what do you mean by "dose phosphate"? I've tested my phosphate twice (tank is two weeks old), and I've never had anything but tiny amounts that have gone down on their own. I do have a phosphate remover pad in my filter...

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, since people seem to all have a preferred brand, does anyone know about San Francisco Bay Company Frozen food? Its what was available at my LFS, but I'm getting the sense certain brands are better for the fish than others...

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I don't know how good or bad feeding brine shrimp is for a reef tank but my lfs sells probably 50 containers a day and he uses them. I trust his advise and feed them maybe once a month or every 2 weeks as a "treat" again the fish love chasing them and eating them.

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what matters most on brand is your want to see a lot of protein and not fillers.
this particular one seems to me to be a good amount of protein and two of the four in the variety pack have extra vitamins, but I guess I don't really know what counts as filler... maybe better for me to switch to LRS

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, since people seem to all have a preferred brand, does anyone know about San Francisco Bay Company Frozen food? Its what was available at my LFS, but I'm getting the sense certain brands are better for the fish than others...

I have heard of the brand, but I'm in Florida and lrs is based in the carolina's so we get a lot of it here. I'm sure their food is good but I have not seen it locally.

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture in case it helps. I have heard a lot of people talk about that brand on here and have good things to say. I've just personally never used it, and again I'm sure it's because LRS is on the East coast so it's probably easier to distribute here. And the other company is based on the West coast so they probably distribute more there as well.

1603616303239316252303660247404.jpg

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I don't know how good or bad feeding brine shrimp is for a reef tank but my lfs sells probably 50 containers a day and he uses them. I trust his advise and feed them maybe once a month or every 2 weeks as a "treat" again the fish love chasing them and eating them.
unless Brine Shrimp are gut loaded with algae, the run o mill “red” brine shrimp are basically no better than feeding your fish Trix (and Trix are for kids) ... anyway, you want the green ones

Flake works, I like Formula 1 &2 but soaked pellets are better IMO ...I use NLS pellets but frozen mysis, DIY frozen and ulva make up the bulk of my aquariums diet

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There could be a lot of factors as to which stores cary what. I originally was looking for a different brand and my lfs showed me this. I looked them up on youtube and saw an interview with the owner where they tour the facility. I liked their story and the food quality looked great so I stuck with it. At the end of the day asking and the ingredients don't have weird stuff in it you should be in good hands.

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture in case it helps. I have heard a lot of people talk about that brand on here and have good things to say. I've just personally never used it, and again I'm sure it's because LRS is on the East coast so it's probably easier to distribute here. And the other company is based on the West coast so they probably distribute more there as well.

1603616303239316252303660247404.jpg
I Might drive into town and see if I can find it... I'm really surprised that LRS is more common on the east coast but my LFS doesn't have it... hmmm. anyway, thank you for the picture, I never would have found that XD

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also worth asking, is it BAD for the fish to only get frozen? like, is it imperative that I run out and get some pellets for them because its really not good? or just next time I'm there might be worth looking at?

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. I think the most important thing is a varied diet keeps fish healthy. If there is anything to note I would say that's it.

OP
OP
Nasabeau

Nasabeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. I think the most important thing is a varied diet keeps fish healthy. If there is anything to note I would say that's it.
when you say varied, do you mean a combination of different food types, or just different foods in general. like, for example, the packs I bought have 4 different types of frozen food and I've been switching between them. is that varied, or would it only really be varied if I threw pellets in too? I really want to do my best for these guys and the more I learn the more I worry I'm not doing enough

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you say varied, do you mean a combination of different food types, or just different foods in general. like, for example, the packs I bought have 4 different types of frozen food and I've been switching between them. is that varied, or would it only really be varied if I threw pellets in too? I really want to do my best for these guys and the more I learn the more I worry I'm not doing enough

So your right with the 1st part on switch it up. I would also add some pellets as well. Do you need to run out and get some asap I think not. When I feed I drop one cube in and a pinch of pellets. I have 6 fish and a cleaner shrimp.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back