Frozen food poison?

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wondering about this for a while.......
We can never know about the manufacturing process and how fresh the ingredients are........that's why I try to stick with Hikari because they say they use a 3 step sterilize process.
I have a Flame Angel that was OK in the quarantine for 3 days until I fed a new non- Hikari ( omni)frozen food.
Did anyone have "suspected" incidents?

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen what a fish will eat in the wild? 'Rotten' is a variable term... many animals can eat things that would put you or I in the hospital with no ill effects. Now... I've opened a package of frozen fish food, and immediately thrown it in the trash. Stuff that stinks so bad that you've got to open a window for a few hours and your wife starts digging for a can of air freshener. It happens. Standards on animal foods, especially in shipping, are not what they are on human foods. Could there be some contamination, outside of just plain rot? Sure. To the best of my knowledge, I've never experienced it, but sure, it's possible.

I use Hikari, Rod's foods, Piscine Energetics, and SF Bay... no problems that I'm aware of.

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been feeding my fish Hikari, Ocean Nutrition (before they changed and it falls apart), San Francisco Bay, Rod's and Spectrum, for over 30 years. I have never had any concerns or problems.

OP
OP
H

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much! Although it's "not" one of the brands mentioned( Cobalt) I won't throw it out. Other fish that ate it are still OK. Sadly the Flame Angel just died after wasting away for 3 days.

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish can live several weeks without food. If he died in 3 days it may have been internal parasites, these have been popping in the fish as of late. If the fish is eating try Spectrum Hex Shield and if they are not I would use Prozipro.

SciGuy2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a problem with a food specifically sold for pet use. I did, however, have a piece of shrimp from Sam's Club appear to kill an anemone 10 years ago. I suspect that the shrimp had been bleached.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a problem with a food specifically sold for pet use. I did, however, have a piece of shrimp from Sam's Club appear to kill an anemone 10 years ago. I suspect that the shrimp had been bleached.
Feeding nems, especially new ones, can lead to this even if the shrimp isn’t bleached.

SciGuy2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding nems, especially new ones, can lead to this even if the shrimp isn’t bleached.

Explain more. Following up on your hunch, this was a newish bubble anem, probably in my grow out system for maybe a month. The piece I fed was perhaps the size and thickness of a little fingernail.

I was baffled and upset about losing the anem. I had great success with anemonies 20 years earlier and routinely shaved off pieces of shrimp to feed them. They did very well for me for 6-7 years until I sold them to a fellow reefer when I moved states. I remember hearing about bleaching of seafood in the area and attributed the death to that. Perhaps I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Explain more. Following up on your hunch, this was a newish bubble anem, probably in my grow out system for maybe a month. The piece I fed was perhaps the size and thickness of a little fingernail.

I was baffled and upset about losing the anem. I had great success with anemonies 20 years earlier and routinely shaved off pieces of shrimp to feed them. They did very well for me for 6-7 years until I sold them to a fellow reefer when I moved states. I remember hearing about bleaching of seafood in the area and attributed the death to that. Perhaps I jumped to the wrong conclusion.
This is just an observation I’ve had a couple times and seen on here — I’m FAR from an anemone expert.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 31.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 54 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back