SilverCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start off by saying how glad I am that R2R exists and how helpful all members have been during my initial startup process. The first 2 paragraphs are background and tank info so you may skip reading.

I have decided to finally get my 40B up and running so I have been slowly gathering equipment, building stand, and basically just getting everything ready to go prior to adding water and starting cycle. I want to start my first reef aquarium with the best chances of success and don't mind taking my time if it means I won't have to disturb or stop setup in future to make changes that could have been done prior.

My 40B is drilled and will have a 20T sump. The 20T is not ideal due to limited footprint compared to 20L but I haven't come across a decent 20L for sale yet. I am planning to have limited equipment in sump due to the lack of available space but decided a refugium, protein skimmer, and return pump (obviously) are necessary to help limit maintenance.

My first question is how I should arrange baffles in sump and at what height, spacing, and design they should be. I'm not quite sure how the baffles work and what the ultimate goal of them is. Any info on the matter is greatly appreciated. Also, pictures are worth 1,000 words.

Second question is regarding refugium lighting. I was planning on getting the Kessil H380 after hearing good things about it from the BRS team, but since my sump is only a 20T and refugium area will have to be limited, should I get the H80 instead? I feel like I should still just get the H380 so that if I do upgrade sump, the light will still be able to handle it. Also, according to BRS, it seems the H380 is the best option for a natural level maintaining system.

Thanks in advance for all input, information, opinions, and pictures. Should be getting ready for water within the next week so I would like to get glass cut and in place as soon as possible.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Kessil H80 and was extremely disappointed with the PAR it produces. So I ended up getting a cheap but slimline version of a black box led and the white channel alone puts out WAY more PAR than the H80.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your fuge is going to be on the smaller side, i'd actually look into the H160, its a happy middle between the H80 and the H380
With that being said, I am using a 20 gallon sump as well, my fuge area is 9.5x11.5 and i'm using the H380 and absolutely love it and the results it has put out ;)

OP
OP
SilverCityReef

SilverCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Kessil H80 and was extremely disappointed with the PAR it produces. So I ended up getting a cheap but slimline version of a black box led and the white channel alone puts out WAY more PAR than the H80.

I had a feeling that was going to be an issue considering its 15w compared to 90w on the H380.

If your fuge is going to be on the smaller side, i'd actually look into the H160, its a happy middle between the H80 and the H380
With that being said, I am using a 20 gallon sump as well, my fuge area is 9.5x11.5 and i'm using the H380 and absolutely love it and the results it has put out ;)

Any pictures of your sump setup? My sump tank dimensions are 24" x 12D x 16H. Did you do 9.5" x depth of tank or do you have 20 long? I just want to leave enough room for good size fuge, protein skimmer, and small return pump area.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a feeling that was going to be an issue considering its 15w compared to 90w on the H380.

Any pictures of your sump setup? My sump tank dimensions are 24" x 12D x 16H. Did you do 9.5" x depth of tank or do you have 20 long? I just want to leave enough room for good size fuge, protein skimmer, and small return pump area.
PgfGTEMl.jpg

3iOO5d8l.jpg

HwgrPryl.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is your sump the same dimensions? This is exactly what I need to recreate. I just dont know how to setup the baffles, what heights they should be, locations, or whether they should be solid or drilled. Can I get more info and steal your design? Lol
Mine is actually a premade sump. I'm horrible at DIY ;Hilarious
If you'd like more info its the Trigger Crystal 30 sump
However if you need specific dimensions just let me know, I can take some measurements when I get home this afternoon.

OP
OP
SilverCityReef

SilverCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is actually a premade sump. I'm horrible at DIY ;Hilarious
If you'd like more info its the Trigger Crystal 30 sump
However if you need specific dimensions just let me know, I can take some measurements when I get home this afternoon.

If you can get the dimensions of sump, baffles, & spacing that would be extremely helpful. I'm decent at DIY, although I would have local glass company cut baffles for me, I just don't really understand the goal behind how they are mounted and the different designs, which is why I am kinda looking for a sump like yours that I can copy

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get the dimensions of sump, baffles, & spacing that would be extremely helpful. I'm decent at DIY, although I would have local glass company cut baffles for me, I just don't really understand the goal behind how they are mounted and the different designs, which is why I am kinda looking for a sump like yours that I can copy
You bet, it'll be later this afternoon but i'll try and get as many dimensions for you as i can ;)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back