Fungus on live rock

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
need full tank shot pics first, that's usually all we need to fix it. we are mostly dealing with algae and bacterial mat variations cant wait to see pics.

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
need full tank shot pics first, that's usually all we need to fix it. we are mostly dealing with algae and bacterial mat variations cant wait to see pics.

It's on one piece of rock which I removed, there are black spots and one tiny white fuzz. According too google image searches it seems to be fungus

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 1.14.15 PM.png
IMG_6016.jpeg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey that's exceptional quality live rock. encased benthic worms, real coralline, thats nice.

we expect several kinds of alternating generations of organisms to pop up, good thing identification isn't critical when you can pull out the rocks for inspection like you've done. if you want to just kill it off the rocks you can, or you can experiment with ways to starve it or let an animal graze it.

If it was my tank id lift out each rock, wipe the areas clean and rinse off the targets with peroxide it w kill them. by working on the target areas and not dipping the whole rock, you preserve the non target areas. quality live rock sometimes needs hand farming since we aren't growing it among ocean raspers. easier in smaller tanks, harder to access in larger tanks.

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's on one piece of rock which I removed, there are black spots and one tiny white fuzz. According too google image searches it seems to be fungus

Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 1.14.15 PM.png
IMG_6016.jpeg
It is out of focus but the general shape of the white growth circled in the top picture is that of a pineapple sponge.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at not that part ha mustve missed the little circle. lets zap the algae/ good call on sponge. I have a rope version that extends out through my rocks at times and then lessens back in cycles over the years.

OP
OP

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 5.32.27 PM.png

Sorry for the out of focus picture! But i googled and it looks like that above ^

Also what would explain the dark "black" spots on the live rock?

My entire tank is base rock and I used this as a seeder

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 5.32.27 PM.png

Sorry for the out of focus picture! But i googled and it looks like that above ^

Also what would explain the dark "black" spots on the live rock?

My entire tank is base rock and I used this as a seeder

I can't really tell from the pics as it looks more dark green on my phone, maybe some algae. Does it scrape off?
It looks like nice rock overall though. Since you bought this as a seed rock, doing much to it may kill the beneficial life.
Just from what I can see, I would probably just add the rock and monitor. If it starts spreading then I would address it.
Just my opinion though based on what I can see.

Back