Galaxea Coral placement

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nice rainbow galaxea coral and need to find a place for it. Trouble is, it has really long sweepers and lots of them! I had it high on a rock with nothing near it--tank is only 2 months old. Glued it to a lone rock and put it in front of my glass, in front of another rock with gps on it. Last night, I couldn't believe the 7-8 inch sweepers that could reach the gsp's and the favia next to it on the sand bed!

Most of the tank has pretty good flow, and turbulent flow--4 wavemakers. The 2 corners probably the least flow. Tank is a 125 gal with current ic marine pro lights approx 7 inches above water.

So where is the best place? Up high and maybe sweepers are away from anything?
Mid-up against rock where there is nothing-but that means I lose all that space
Back corner where there is no other coral, and won't be coral on the back of hte rocks but flow most likely lower here.

There's one of the super long one but half of what it was last night during lights off
20180419_170311.jpg
20180419_170321.jpg
20180419_170356.jpg

Peek a boo from the ruby head wrasse peeking through hole in gsp rock
20180419_170404.jpg

jtvaughn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this frag in my tank too and those sweepers were murder on my softees. I decided to move mine on the highest point of rock atop of my frog spawn and hammer corals. No more issues once I made the change.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason not in my tank. They are aggressive and send tentacles out a long way. I thought my acan was bad these are worse. Acan died in dino outbreak.

nfrench2100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful coral. This was probably the 10th or so coral that I put in my tank last year. Needless to say, I only kept it for about 2 months before I decided to take it back to LFS. For such a small coral (3-4” frag), it took up so much space in my tank. I couldn’t keep any other coral within 10 inches of it. It killed a frag of zoas and a head of my hammer, so I quickly decided it just wasn’t the coral for my tank. Good luck with it!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the back corner but there is almost no flow there. the twin overflows block the flow in the corners even though I have ph's next to each overflow pointing to the opposite side of tank, and 2 on each end. Might need to shift the two on each end so they point down the length of tank instead of angling toward front of tank. Or one pointing behind rockwork, and one in front.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 41 26.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 34 21.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 40 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back