Gate valve and DC pump

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gate valve used in primary drain to help control flow and dial in flow rate.

If using a DC pump, would you still need the gate valve for flow control?

Would gate valve be left fully open and you use DC controller to fail in flow??

What is the actual process using DC pumps?

Slim64684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a gate valve on my drain with a DC pump. I went that route for future expansion. I can add a manifold and not limit the amount of water I'm circulating through my dt.

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a gate valve on my drain with a DC pump. I went that route for future expansion. I can add a manifold and not limit the amount of water I'm circulating through my dt.
Sorry. I’m extra confused. Manifold off gate valve would come off return pump side (?).

I was asking about gate valve of drain side. You wouldn’t connect a manifold there, would you??

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You use a gate valve ONLY on the primary drain line of a Herbie or Beananimal set up... NEVER on a single drain Durso. I would contend that the gate valve on the primary drain is less about controlling flow and more about purging air out of the primary drain so that your overflow/drain system can run silently. Actual control of flow is done by the controller of a DC pump or by valving back an AC pump.

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I plan to have a manifold off the return pump if/when I need it. I can then just increase the flow from my pump without affecting the dt turnover.
So what about your gate valve on your primary drain? Is it left fully open and you adjust flow with DC pump? Or do you find still needing to adjust flow with gate valve??

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You use a gate valve ONLY on the primary drain line of a Herbie or Beananimal set up... NEVER on a single drain Durso. I would conetend that the gate valve on the primary drain is less about controlling flow and more about purging air out of the primary drain so that your overflow/drain system can run silently. Actual control of flow is done by the controller of a DC pump or by valving back an AC pump.
Thank you. So after air is purged, would you find the gate valve being left fully open, so all adjustments through DC pump? Or does gate valve still require tweaking to adjust flow (with DC pump).

And yes, Herbie or Bean (not Durso).

snowhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You adjust the drain gate valve to match the flow of your return pump. If you leave it wide open it will dump more into your sump than your return pump can keep up with... in most cases.
Return pump puts water into tank and valve on drain pipe gets adjusted to keep overflow level just at, or just under the top of the emergency drain pipe.

Slim64684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what about your gate valve on your primary drain? Is it left fully open and you adjust flow with DC pump? Or do you find still needing to adjust flow with gate valve??

I set the amount of flow i wanted going to the dt with the controller for DC pump. Then I adjusted the gate valve until I could pull a fill siphon through my primary drain with the water level in my overflow is even with my emergency drain. Once the gate valve was adjusted to accomplish this I didn't touch it. The gave valve is still partially closed.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gate valve is used to create a full siphon without needing to crank your pump up all the way. For example I have my DC pump set to 60percent and the gate valve is 25 percent closed. If I had no gate valve then I would need more power from the pump to acquire a full siphon. This would also increase my tank turnover rate

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. So after air is purged, would you find the gate valve being left fully open, so all adjustments through DC pump? Or does gate valve still require tweaking to adjust flow (with DC pump).

In a Herbie or Bean drain the valve is used to divide flow between the full siphon and partial siphon drains. The DC pump will control the total amount of flow. So yes, the valve will still be needed.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You start out with the gate valve fully open on your primary drain line. It’s best to install your gate valve as close to the sump as possible and have the pipe extend no more than an inch into the water level of the sump. At this point, it will be very noisy. Slowly close the gate valve in small increments and wait a few npminutes between each adjustment. You will get to a point where all the air will purge out of the primary drain line and it will run quietly. You will get a small trickle down your secondary drain. Now leave the gate valve alone.

Understand that if you increase the flow of your DC pump, you may have to open up the gate valve in the primary drain line again to quiet it down as there will be more than just a trickle down the secondary drain resulting in noise.

Last edited:

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ideally you would be able to control the flow through the main drain of a herbie or beananimal by adjusting the output of your DC return pump(s). In my case, with my return pump maxed out, it still was not able to supply enough flow to the main drain to maintain full siphon, so I had to restrict the flow slightly on the main drain with the gate valve.

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone. My thoughts that started this question: should I set DC pump (or pumps if I use 2) to half power and a full open gate valve (drain), then adjust DC pump(s) to match flow or gate valve to adjust flow?

I guess it depends if you need more or less flow? And I’m guessing we don’t want DC pumps running at max?

Jenuvio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree a gate valve on the drain line is a must to adjust accordingly.
If you have a DC pump there is no need for a valve to the DT.
Check out this manifold i created. I have a ball valve because i am adding a bio reactor to this pump also.

:D

IMG_5681.jpg

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run DC at max. It is entirely up to how much flow you want and how much flow those pipes can handle. I would say start everything fully open. If your main drain is catching air with your pump at full speed then, you know you’ll need to restrict water with a gate valve. If your other drains are being used then you know to lower your DC pump.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone. My thoughts that started this question: should I set DC pump (or pumps if I use 2) to half power and a full open gate valve (drain), then adjust DC pump(s) to match flow or gate valve to adjust flow?

I guess it depends if you need more or less flow? And I’m guessing we don’t want DC pumps running at max?
The valve on the drain has nothing to do with the flow through your sump. Set the speed of your pump(s) to achieve the desired flow through your system. You should do this with all valves wide open. The drains will run noisy but don't worry about it. Only focus on water flow.
Once you have the flow through the sump that you want, then you want to start shutting the valve on the full siphon drain. You want it set so that most of the flow goes through the full siphon drain with a small amount of flow going down the trickle drain. This will allow your drains to run quietly.

Back