Gem and Achilles Tang

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for about 1 month now I’ve seen my shrimp disappear first my cleaner shrimp then my fire shrimp. I’ve had a major tank crash so I figured it was due to the stress and even age. I bought 5 new 3 cleaner 2 fire shrimp have them about 1 -2 weeks and down to 1 cleaner shrimp hmmmm Yesterday however I saw something I could not believe ...... my gem tank ( 1.5 yrs young ) was chasing and ready for the kill on my new and last cleaner shrimp. My brand new Achilles tang joined the hunt. The Chase was wild and Lethal for the shrimp by the time I made a short video the shrimp was finished

never thought that my shrimp disappearing has to do with my gem and Achilles tang

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe they're not getting enough food? I find that when I don't feed my anthias enough they tend to get a little more aggressive about finding something else to eat.

OP
OP
Isabel’s Hobby

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me ... they’re fat and happy fish I feed 3 times a day ... frozen mysis once and twice nori I have my naso for 5 years my yellow for 4 years and they’re super happy

OP
OP
Isabel’s Hobby

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here some pics not sure if the video is playing for you

32C1150E-A611-45AA-A726-DA9746969AF4.jpeg 3BC6D19D-3FB0-4ABC-8F59-8EBB7B1B100F.jpeg 3C66B291-EBD6-4346-B2AC-D9E7F4BA600B.jpeg

Last edited:

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bulk buy live copapods, mysid and ghost shrimp on occasion from Rusalty. They're for my triggers and wrasse to chase and clean while they're around. The tangs have definitely started going after them as well. They're bigger than mysis that you'd buy frozen but smaller than full grown cleaners. Similar size to your video. You might be able to put a full size cleaner but it's only a matter of time as the tangs get bigger as they'll probably eat them. Beautiful fish by the way!

OP
OP
Isabel’s Hobby

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bulk buy live copapods, mysid and ghost shrimp on occasion from Rusalty. They're for my triggers and wrasse to chase and clean while they're around. The tangs have definitely started going after them as well. They're bigger than mysis that you'd buy frozen but smaller than full grown cleaners. Similar size to your video. You might be able to put a full size cleaner but it's only a matter of time as the tangs get bigger as they'll probably eat them. Beautiful fish by the way!
Thank you and yes i do as well buy live baby shrimp to feed when ever I can get them at my LFS

OP
OP
Isabel’s Hobby

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Achilles was a surprise Xmas present from my husband and he /she wasn’t eating much the first 2 days then ich started but I have a UV light on 24/7 right now because of it and I have a cleaner wrasse what is always busy ...the ich is pretty much gone. 1-2 spots Right now. I am very happy. My point is... I know for sure it was the Gem Tang what started this because the Achilles is new And shrimp gone missing in the past month . However she/he just joined the hunt. The shrimp tried to hide already tentacles gone but the gemmi was relentless and got him out again and again. My yellow and naso tang showed absolut no interest and they’ve been in my tank for years. My naso is not long but fat LOL all my fish are in fact my lawnmower Benny always looks like he is sinking big “beer” belly lol
and yes I put the Achilles in my show tank I don’t have a quarantine or different tank big enough for that beautiful fish. I know the risks I am taking. Not my first ich rodeo either but I have corals as well and most meds are no good for that...anyway ....as the video shows....the Achilles has no problems eating anymore. With all that said ... I don’t think I need to try a cleaner shrimp because ive had 2 big one for over a year and they disappeared so did my first set of fire shrimp ive had for 2 years all before the arrival of the Achilles.... I guess my Gemmi gets busy towards the night time and hunts ;) what is fine with me now that I know.... I was simply amazed
I have seen damsels becoming a hunting pack towards a new fish and seriously attacking from 3 sides - do not have a video I saved that poor new fish back when - but if someone would have said that Tangs are hunting I would have had my doubts

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Totally odd
I have 14 tangs and there is a fire and harlequin shrimp in with them
I had a cleaner and two monster coral banded but flame hawk was my culprit
He has left the existing ones alone
Place generous folds of nori on a clip to keep them occupied as well as clam on the shell to keep them content

OP
OP
Isabel’s Hobby

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally odd
I have 14 tangs and there is a fire and harlequin shrimp in with them
I had a cleaner and two monster coral banded but flame hawk was my culprit
He has left the existing ones alone
Place generous folds of nori on a clip to keep them occupied as well as clam on the shell to keep them conten
14 tangs ....you’ve must have a huge tank

ive had my purple tang start eating LPS he went to the Fishstore ;) replaced him with the gemi and a clown the clown tang became, small as he was with his maybe 1.5inches , a bully so went to the LFS as well. Had a hippo she was amazing but she did not like anything on her side where she wedged herself to sleep. So any snail or even coral especially a newer Monti....she would either pick them up and throw them to another side of the tank or pick on it until it fell off so she can move it away...also very interesting. I love tangs . Do you mind sharing a pic or 2 of your tangs ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Very interesting behaviors
Tank is 20 gallons- just kidding LOL
I have THREE tanks with largest at 660g

077392DD-9631-45DD-BB34-61D300148589.jpeg
699BDFCC-B2BC-44C1-9A40-801F0A209131.jpeg
99214698-6F25-4A68-8475-5B63B32515FF.jpeg
6F8293AD-ED6F-4AA1-8C08-75FEB2590178.jpeg
8C24ED13-109C-4363-8991-8DF6DF81D604.jpeg
8682C3A4-2F31-4E03-B2B0-256FB685F883.jpeg
C50861B3-5178-4EE0-93C2-52E6AEA89DC9.jpeg
5FADB412-8A2A-4392-B69A-FC10D777D68F.jpeg
F9316913-C1E9-4010-9FAC-D80A48B80058.jpeg
9E816A02-E9D3-4056-BBF5-7D111EC86E44.jpeg
0F0F21F5-B983-4E56-91EB-54C73C3CEBDF.jpeg

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner wrasse helping clear ich is the myth that just won’t die ..... cool fish to have though.

I think that once a fish realizes something is tasty there’s not a lot to be done. Zebra eel ate all my shrimp, so none left for the tangs to develop a taste for.

OP
OP
Isabel’s Hobby

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner wrasse helping clear ich is the myth that just won’t die ..... cool fish to have though.

I think that once a fish realizes something is tasty there’s not a lot to be done. Zebra eel ate all my shrimp, so none left for the tangs to develop a taste for.
right but ive seen the cleaner wrasse cleaning actually so.....lets see

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right but ive seen the cleaner wrasse cleaning actually so.....lets see

That’s because most novice reefers think the white spots are the ich .... they aren’t. White spots are the skin reaction to the buried parasite. Cleaners, whether fish or shrimp, may well remove the white spot but the parasite remains well buried. Ich also cycles, so spots will come and go based on the parasite lifecycle. So it must have been the cleaner wrasse right LOL.

Ich can be managed, but Achilles is the proverbial canary. Reefers that thought their tank was ich free can get an unfortunate surprise when their new Achilles shows spots. I have ich In my system, and an Achilles tang that shows spots periodically. None of the other fish do. Running a large UV probably helps, as does keeping the slime coat thick with good feeding.

OP
OP
Isabel’s Hobby

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s because most novice reefers think the white spots are the ich .... they aren’t. White spots are the skin reaction to the buried parasite. Cleaners, whether fish or shrimp, may well remove the white spot but the parasite remains well buried. Ich also cycles, so spots will come and go based on the parasite lifecycle. So it must have been the cleaner wrasse right LOL.

Ich can be managed, but Achilles is the proverbial canary. Reefers that thought their tank was ich free can get an unfortunate surprise when their new Achilles shows spots. I have ich In my system, and an Achilles tang that shows spots periodically. None of the other fish do. Running a large UV probably helps, as does keeping the slime coat thick with good feeding.
I can totally see that. I do not know all the ins and outs never claim to be. I am still learning 5 years into this hobby every day a little more. Thank you for explaining ;) i appreciate that

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back