general chalice care

greystreet41

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up several nice LE types over the weekend and have never kept them previously. Any obvious things to consider to ensure growth, color, etc?
tia,
casey

b0bby1

Zoa/Paly Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fairly easy to keep and some of them grow pretty well, just like acan lords they don't like much flow and light. i just lost a bazooka joe and aspera chalice due to a salinity swing.

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fairly easy to keep and some of them grow pretty well, just like acan lords they don't like much flow and light. i just lost a bazooka joe and aspera chalice due to a salinity swing.

agreed. they definiltely don't like direct light, even if your tank is 24" deep like mine. i had to move mine under some rocks in the shade. now they are taking off.

they seem to do ok under direct T5 actinic lighting, but not direct MH lighting.

OP
OP
greystreet41

greystreet41

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed. they definiltely don't like direct light, even if your tank is 24" deep like mine. i had to move mine under some rocks in the shade. now they are taking off.

they seem to do ok under direct T5 actinic lighting, but not direct MH lighting.

that's good since I'm a T5'er. :)

Just picked up a 6 bulb 36 inch fixture (Tek) from Chelsey that is just amazing. I had the 4 bulb over the display and was more than pleased, but now it's just awesome.

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to revive an old thread, with a new question about chalice care...

So do these guys like to be on the sand bed only? I guess what I am asking is will they plate out like a monti cap or do they prefer to grow along something like the sand bed or a rock etc??

LiveRock27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a quick question. I have kept an orange w/pink eye chalice now for a month under 72w of PC in my 14g Biocube. It has grown nicely and the colors look great for being an ordinary chalice. My question is with my lighting can I keep some of the more colorful variety or would I need to upgrade to T5's for them to keep their nice colors? Thanks.

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of mine are on the sandbed. I have them hanging like a shelf, with one edge glued to the side of a rock & then they grow out horizontally, over the reef.

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine under inderect halide lighting and some in derect lighting(175w-250w) and they really love "Coral Frenzy" when I feed it.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chalice care is relatively straightforward. They require fairly low light. Chalices in nature are found in "relatively" deep water where less light penetrates. They have adapted by growing plating forms to collect as much light as possible, so it's very easy to over do the light with them. Also, make sure there is some flow over the piece. Because they grow horizontally they can collect detritus, which will lead to dead spots over time. An occasional spot feeding of brine shrimp or mysis at night when the tentacles are out will also be appreciated by it and help it to grow faster.

LiveRock27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the insight on them. I swear first it was zoas, next it was acans, and now I'm addicted to chalices. Atleast it's not crack I guess.

foxhuntr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question....... i hear alot of people saying that chalices dont like alot of light......i keep mine under 250 watt MH's...they are about 18" under the light and they just grow like crazy.....are people talking about shallow frag tanks ??? because i have tried to move them away from the MH's and their color's just start to fade after time....

twinspots_goby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO..ALK stablity is key...

I completely agree with Emoney. With a stable ALK level, chalices can adjust the lighting themselves. Some chalices such as PB and some WMs can be placed under higher lighting and prefer higher lighing. Some others such as melting pot and ARC wanted prefer lower lighting and show more colors under lower lighting.

jski711

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the addiction!!!

IMAG0094.jpg

IMAG0093.jpg

IMAG0095.jpg

IMAG0092.jpg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back