General discussion and questions about my tank because I am noob at this

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My crab loves Coquina clams, after I caught like 20 and put them in there (they are all tiny) I just have to crack one open every few days and my crab loves it, I don't have to look further to find food it likes. I will probably go to the store and feed it a part of a frozen shrimp too to make it eat more than 1 thing, also at the beach there is so much of this 1 species of sea snail and I was wondering if they eat it. Let me describe it then find a picture: it has a wide thin shell, it always is found at about the same size, here is pictures:
1674590665421.png
1674590729826.png
1674590771961.png
this is a snail that died and got eaten by other snails
Clearer pics may help, but - assuming it's tiny - possibly Granulina margaritula?
NOOOO PLS PLS HELP AHH
1674591912374.png
1674591842936.png

MY MANS GUNNA GET FILTERED WHY DOES MY FILTER ATTRACT SNAILS THIS IS THE ONLY SNAIL THAT HAS BEEN TRYING TO ESCAPE HOW DID HE GET UP IN THE FILTER?? bruh this is my new filter

edit: I got him out
Glad to hear you got it out, I'd make sure to have the filter inlets covered/blocked off in some way to prevent future incidents like this.

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clearer pics may help, but - assuming it's tiny - possibly Granulina margaritula?

Glad to hear you got it out, I'd make sure to have the filter inlets covered/blocked off in some way to prevent future incidents like this
Can The Crab eat it?
Also what would happen when it went into filter, Id assume it would mess with the media.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can The Crab eat it?
Also what would happen when it went into filter, Id assume it would mess with the media.
I would guess it could if it wanted to - the only predators I know of for G. margaritula are sea stars though.

Edit: I doubt it would cause serious problems to the filter, but I'd assume the snail would die shortly after getting stuck in there (and that could potentially cause issues).

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess it could if it wanted to - the only predators I know of for G. margaritula are sea stars though.
ok, also at the beach there are smaller pretty snails in the hundreds that I will find in piles eating dead bigger ugly snails and just about any scraps of food they find. They look like the bigger pretty snails but I doubt they are the same because all the small ones are the same size and I never saw one that was that much of a different size from the rest though, and also that these ones are about 10x bigger. Do you think a handful of these little guys would be good for a cuc? probably like 10-15?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, also at the beach there are smaller pretty snails in the hundreds that I will find in piles eating dead bigger ugly snails and just about any scraps of food they find. They look like the bigger pretty snails but I doubt they are the same because all the small ones are the same size and I never saw one that was that much of a different size from the rest though, and also that these ones are about 10x bigger. Do you think a handful of these little guys would be good for a cuc? probably like 10-15?
Possibly - you'd want to know what the snails are before deciding for certain though.

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind I have one in my tank and I think the little ones are just baby versions of the big pretty ones in my tank. The reason I think this is because when they are threatened they go into their shell and have a hard shield shell on the side of their feet they use to block off the hole completely protecting them, and both the little ones I was talking about and the big ones I have have this feature actually. I took a picture of this one I happened to have in my tank
20230124_152149.jpg
that is why I think the big ones I found at the beach and the Littles ones that eat everything are the same species

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind I have one in my tank and I think the little ones are just baby versions of the big pretty ones in my tank. The reason I think this is because when they are threatened they go into their shell and have a hard shield shell on the side of their feet they use to block off the hole completely protecting them, and both the little ones I was talking about and the big ones I have have this feature actually. I took a picture of this one I happened to have in my tank
20230124_152149.jpg
that is why I think the big ones I found at the beach and the Littles ones that eat everything are the same species
The "shield shell" is a known as an operculum, and it's actually a pretty common feature in snails. If the foot of the snail (the body, not the shell) looks the same, and the shell looks the same, then they may be the same species.

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "shield shell" is a known as an operculum, and it's actually a pretty common feature in snails. If the foot of the snail (the body, not the shell) looks the same, and the shell looks the same, then they may be the same species.
ok great, my water level has gone down about an inch. I need to fill it back up but I dont have an rodi filter is this ro filter good enough? (I have it)
1674603340898.png
it is like the ro without the di whatever that is

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok great, my water level has gone down about an inch. I need to fill it back up but I dont have an rodi filter is this ro filter good enough? (I have it)
1674603340898.png
it is like the ro without the di whatever that is
RO is Reverse Osmosis, DI is Deionization. RO is a good place to start (much better than just tap water), but RODI is best as the DI part removes contaminants that make it through the RO filters. (According to BRS, some of the contaminants removed by the DI include silicate, nitrate, and phosphate.)

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO is Reverse Osmosis, DI is Deionization. RO is a good place to start (much better than just tap water), but RODI is best as the DI part removes contaminants that make it through the RO filters. (According to BRS, some of the contaminants removed by the DI include silicate, nitrate, and phosphate.)
is it ok for replacing 1 inch of water in a 10 gallon tank?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do I know if my water is good?
Testing. Some people read their water company's water technical info/reports, other people just use a TDS meter on their RODI system and if the meter reads low enough (preferably 0) then they consider the water clean enough.

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing. Some people read their water company's water technical info/reports, other people just use a TDS meter on their RODI system and if the meter reads low enough (preferably 0) then they consider the water clean enough.
where do I go to get the tests

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where do I go to get the tests
You can find TDS meters online for like $15-$25 (a local fish store may or may not carry these) - I'm not sure where to find the technical reports, and I imagine where you would find these would vary from one water company to another.

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find TDS meters online for like $15-$25 (a local fish store may or may not carry these) - I'm not sure where to find the technical reports, and I imagine where you would find these would vary from one water company to another.
what am I looking for in the reports?

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the water report, on one of the pages it shows the stuff in the water I have no idea what I am looking at though

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what am I looking for in the reports?
The "Report of Detected Compounds" at the bottom:
- Looking at the copper specifically, they mention the 90th percentile for 50 homes sampled was 0.245 (this means that 90% of the 50 homes tested had copper levels of 0.245 or lower);
- The testing they use for copper is only sensitive to 0.05.
- LC50 for Copper when tested on different inverts* (a mussel species, an oyster species, a copepod species, and two urchin species - one of the urchins was the sand dollar you have; a different test** used a limpet, a crab, and a mussel) ranged from ~0.002 to 0.2 (LC50 being a toxicology term for the dose needed before half of a given population dies from the toxin); the LC50 varies from one species to the other, and it varies dependent on a number of different factors (such as the bioavailability of the form of copper in the water).

Personally, just looking at the odds of getting a damaging to lethal level of copper in your water, I wouldn't use your water without DI.

*Test Report 1
**Test Report 2

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "Report of Detected Compounds" at the bottom:
- Looking at the copper specifically, they mention the 90th percentile for 50 homes sampled was 0.245 (this means that 90% of the 50 homes tested had copper levels of 0.245 or lower);
- The testing they use for copper is only sensitive to 0.05.
- LC50 for Copper when tested on different inverts* (a mussel species, an oyster species, a copepod species, and two urchin species - one of the urchins was the sand dollar you have; a different test** used a limpet, a crab, and a mussel) ranged from ~0.002 to 0.2 (LC50 being a toxicology term for the dose needed before half of a given population dies from the toxin); the LC50 varies from one species to the other, and it varies dependent on a number of different factors (such as the bioavailability of the form of copper in the water).

Personally, just looking at the odds of getting a damaging to lethal level of copper in your water, I wouldn't use your water without DI.

*Test Report 1
**Test Report 2
oh so I need the di too in order to get out the dangerous copper?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back