General Questions for GHL Doser 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my Doser and have a few questions. I had been dosing by hand for some time now so i decided to make the jump to automate it so i am complete new to this equipment. So please forgive me if these questions are obvious but I just want to be sure.

-What type of tubing should I purchase the goes from the doser to the container holding the chemicals then from the doser to the tank? I know the tubing that is already on the pump heads are chemical resistant so one would think the rest of the tubing should be as well? Or is the clear flexible tubing from home depot/lowes good enough? What does everyone else use?

-I am running out of space in my cabinet that supports my tank. To make this work within that space I would need to mount the doser upside down so that the GHL Logo (and status indicator light) faces the ground. Is there anything wrong with doing this? Can the pump heads be removed and rotated so the lines are face down (how they normally are) instead of up?

-Since I had been dosing by hand, i would just dump in my chemicals all at once. Now that I have the doser I know that i go much slower! What is the thinking behind how fast or slow someone should dose ALK and Calc? I know the pumps can dose as slow as .1 ml per min. I need to dose 50ml of each per day, can someone recommend how fast to dose it and when? Should it be broken up into multiple doses throughout the day?

-Does GHL have an actual Manual on how to use this doser and the software? The quick start guide and instruction manual that is provide is pretty much useless for someone who knows nothing about this equipment.

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I just received my Doser and have a few questions. I had been dosing by hand for some time now so i decided to make the jump to automate it so i am complete new to this equipment. So please forgive me if these questions are obvious but I just want to be sure.

-What type of tubing should I purchase the goes from the doser to the container holding the chemicals then from the doser to the tank? I know the tubing that is already on the pump heads are chemical resistant so one would think the rest of the tubing should be as well? Or is the clear flexible tubing from home depot/lowes good enough? What does everyone else use?

-I am running out of space in my cabinet that supports my tank. To make this work within that space I would need to mount the doser upside down so that the GHL Logo (and status indicator light) faces the ground. Is there anything wrong with doing this? Can the pump heads be removed and rotated so the lines are face down (how they normally are) instead of up?

-Since I had been dosing by hand, i would just dump in my chemicals all at once. Now that I have the doser I know that i go much slower! What is the thinking behind how fast or slow someone should dose ALK and Calc? I know the pumps can dose as slow as .1 ml per min. I need to dose 50ml of each per day, can someone recommend how fast to dose it and when? Should it be broken up into multiple doses throughout the day?

-Does GHL have an actual Manual on how to use this doser and the software? The quick start guide and instruction manual that is provide is pretty much useless for someone who knows nothing about this equipment.

I'll answer as much as I can.

- I use basically any airline tubing as it's so cheap, I can replace it every year if I want. The silicone tubing is more pliable and easier to work with.

-As far as running upside down, I don't know, but I wouldn't expect there to be an issue.

-I dose the 4 component from KZ for coral health as well as Alk/Calc and NoPox from my dosers. My Alk/Calc is dosed over 23 hours @ .2 ml per dose for my tank to maintain stability. I'd dose 2.1 or 2.2 ml per dose 23 times a day (for the record, I dose 23 times a day as I didn't want to test to figure out if 24 would work the way I think it should)

-I downloaded the manual from their international site, but their support is pretty on point if you have questions.

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ghl sent me an updated more in detail manual. PM your email and i can forward it over to you

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll answer as much as I can.

- I use basically any airline tubing as it's so cheap, I can replace it every year if I want. The silicone tubing is more pliable and easier to work with.

-As far as running upside down, I don't know, but I wouldn't expect there to be an issue.

-I dose the 4 component from KZ for coral health as well as Alk/Calc and NoPox from my dosers. My Alk/Calc is dosed over 23 hours @ .2 ml per dose for my tank to maintain stability. I'd dose 2.1 or 2.2 ml per dose 23 times a day (for the record, I dose 23 times a day as I didn't want to test to figure out if 24 would work the way I think it should)

-I downloaded the manual from their international site, but their support is pretty on point if you have questions.

Thanks!

Just wondering, what is NoPox?

medusala

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along this old thread. What tubing do you all use for the GHL doser? Anyone got a link?

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along this old thread. What tubing do you all use for the GHL doser? Anyone got a link?

I believe what I used was 1/4" tubing that is typically used for refrigerator water lines. It's more rigid than typical air hose line and I found that it fits onto the fittings attached to the doser better. I like them and they are clear.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use standard airline tubing the clear flexible line is it bends easier thru the aquarium cabinet. You can use the stiffer 1/4 line if you want its just doesn't lay flat easily.

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use standard airline tubing the clear flexible line is it bends easier thru the aquarium cabinet. You can use the stiffer 1/4 line if you want its just doesn't lay flat easily.

This is true. But my preference is the stuff thats a little more rigid.

medusala

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 2.1 version with 4 heads. Got it new from someone on this forum for 380 shipped!

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 2.1 version with 4 heads. Got it new from someone on this forum for 380 shipped!

Thats funny I think I saw that post of the guy selling it - if he was asking 400 first?.. I think the only place to buy a new GHL SA doser is from company website. I think its like $400 for the 3 head SA doser, not sure why its not available anywhere else..

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the silicone tube on the GHL doser. I like the flexibility of silicone but kind of wish I went with standard for the doser. It does slip off fairly easily and have had it drop on me when working inthe sump. I think I need to get some small zip ties

Jerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a better solution by getting these barbed couplers that fit snug and you don't have to worry about them coming loose.

IMG_2708%202.JPG

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back