Generator

NC2WA

Angelfish Whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Guardian/Generac 13,000 kw auto-standby generator that does most of the house all the fish tanks (2 QTs and a 75g and 375g main tank).

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a little bit more affordable side of things................. The Honda EU series generators are very quiet, sip gas and will last many years if you treat them right. The EU 2000 costs just under $1000 though.

Generac generators have a good reputation also and are much more affordable.

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kohler is coming out with a new line of portables, and Consumer Reports consistently rates them the highest!

Queensreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys if you run the apex, before running the generator on the system unplug the display unit. It goes bad with the surges in frequency that the generator puts out. They are several reports of this happening.

RandomKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats the biggest problem with power outages? just filtration? around were i live we don't get more than 3 days with out power and that's rare enuf i would assume just siphon water out and put it back once or twice a day would keep a "average tank" oxygenated. i could be wrong tho :/. Ether way im thinking solar panels is the way to go if i must have power for a bit :)

Ellery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dilemmas

whats the biggest problem with power outages? just filtration? around were i live we don't get more than 3 days with out power and that's rare enuf i would assume just siphon water out and put it back once or twice a day would keep a "average tank" oxygenated. i could be wrong tho :/. Ether way im thinking solar panels is the way to go if i must have power for a bit :)

I'm in the same boat - in my area of Rochester, NY (Penfield) we've been lucky not to have any real power outages since we moved here in 2006. I also have 5kW of Solar panels on my roof but that is purely supplemental at best.

The best one I've found for the cost is the HarborFreight 8750W unit for Only About $600 + $130 conversion kit to run on Natural Gas, Propane, or Gasoline I can make my own permanent Site Generator. I would go with that personally but it's hard to justify with the current historic occurrence rate. The only thing so far is a DIY battery backup for my Vortech MP40 which should last for 4 days in low. I would have to see if I can make it also work for the Jebao WP25/40 I have as well.

But If I do get one I would think it would be well worth it after a single outage.

Yup dilemmas!

Ellery

ws6kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest problem with outage is air exchange. Really you just need a pump agitating the surface of the water.

The second biggest issue with outage is usually that when the power comes back on, parameters, like temperature, spike quickly and things die from it :p

Has anyone tried the:

[h=1]Smarter Tools 2000-watt Parallel Capable Inverter Generator with Yamaha® Engine[/h]It is from Costco. Looks a lot like the Honda, but half the cost.

MounteeFrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 900 watt generator I bought from harbor freight for $99. It will run a return pump and a heater for 9 hours on a gallon of gas

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 17KW generac that's the automatic type and runs on natural gas. It's a winner.

Queensreefer brings up an interesting point about Apex. I have noted, in the most recent power outtage, that the display was not functioning properly. I unplugged it for about 30 seconds, plugged it back in, and all was good. I think the key is having it plugged into a surge protector. We recently had the power go off an on several times over an hour and the generator kick on and off several times. Apex is still all good.

Queensreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry to say but a fellow reefer here in NY had a surge protector on his system but still lost his display. I think is the fluctuation with the engine and generator that changes the frequency that is generated and the display gets fried.

Queensreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must add if you run an UPS or uninterupted power supply is the only way, It will keep the system online till the generator comes up.

badfinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a honda eu 2000 generator and its great. It doesnt have the surges like other generators. And it will power 2000watts and isnt overrated. Plus its quite so your neighbors wont get ******

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back