Geometric Pygmy Perchlet Feeding

candelloro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience with these guys? Picked one up today and he was eating really well at the store. Just wondering how often I should feed and if feeding at night would be better since they’re somewhat nocturnal apparently.

suta4242

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your perchlett?

I had two of these I grew from newly settled juveniles over a few years. Very interesting fish. On the bad news front some individuals can be very territorial with other small fish sharing its habitat.

Feeding wise mysis or similar will be a good start, as they launch themselves at the food a lot like hawkfish. They are gluttons once settled, and if you like them a lot it may be worth getting a companion. If you do this the dominant fish becomes a very striking almost fluoro red (google to see what I mean)!

HTH

OP
OP
candelloro

candelloro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had two of these I grew from newly settled juveniles over a few years. Very interesting fish. On the bad news front some individuals can be very territorial with other small fish sharing its habitat.

Feeding wise mysis or similar will be a good start, as they launch themselves at the food a lot like hawkfish. They are gluttons once settled, and if you like them a lot it may be worth getting a companion. If you do this the dominant fish becomes a very striking almost fluoro red (google to see what I mean)!

HTH
He’s about an 1.5” long and pretty healthy looking. Stomach isn’t caved in and he doesn’t look skinny. He was eating mysis at the store and when I fed him earlier but suddenly stopped eating right now. Is it normal for them to be really shy about feeding for a while? I’ve read that they are cryptic. He’s the only fish I have in a 2.5 G reef right now. Would once a day feedings be enough? Or more like 3 times a day?

OP
OP
candelloro

candelloro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HTH
Also when he was netted at the store, his tail fin split clean almost all the way down the middle. Should I add anything to my tank to make sure it heals?

suta4242

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the fin, just maintain high water quality ie low phosphates and nitrates to keep bacterial load in the water low. This prevents fin rot etc setting in.

Yeah they can be cryptic, moreso in your case as thats an adult fish thats used to being weary in the wild. Once he settles in should be visible, especially at dinner time. I feed regularly, but given they are big gluttons twice a day would be fine. Guess you already know they love crustaceans including small ornamental shrimp :cool:

OP
OP
candelloro

candelloro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the fin, just maintain high water quality ie low phosphates and nitrates to keep bacterial load in the water low. This prevents fin rot etc setting in.

Yeah they can be cryptic, moreso in your case as thats an adult fish thats used to being weary in the wild. Once he settles in should be visible, especially at dinner time. I feed regularly, but given they are big gluttons twice a day would be fine. Guess you already know they love crustaceans including small ornamental shrimp :cool:
Are they more active feeding in lower light? Like blues or when the lights are off?

suta4242

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh from the wild yeah. After you turn off the lights or before you turn them on, assuming theres ambient light in the room.

GL with it, they’re a great little fish

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%

Back