Getting a UV filter for ostreopsis

grisban

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 9, 2025
Messages
58
Reaction score
13
Location
Netherlands
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I am battling dinos, and i am wondering if 11w UV would be enough for my 125L / 33g cube (excluding rocks sand etc)
I read online about 1W per 3 gallons, so its borderline...
 
When I was battling Ostreopsis I used an 18W in my 70 gallon+sump.

I used the UV plus the turkey baster/filter floss trick and brought my phosphates back into line. It took a few days to start seeing results but I saw results and within a week to a week and a half my tank was cleared.

I think some UV is better than no UV but I've used no UV and the filter floss/turkey baster plus dosing phosphates in my 8 gallon and had similar results.
 
When I was battling Ostreopsis I used an 18W in my 70 gallon+sump.

I used the UV plus the turkey baster/filter floss trick and brought my phosphates back into line. It took a few days to start seeing results but I saw results and within a week to a week and a half my tank was cleared.

I think some UV is better than no UV but I've used no UV and the filter floss/turkey baster plus dosing phosphates in my 8 gallon and had similar results.
Can you tell me about the filter flos turkey blaster trick?

What i am doing is using a siphon through a 5 micron filter sock
 
Can you tell me about the filter flos turkey blaster trick?

What i am doing is using a siphon through a 5 micron filter sock
Turkey baster - use this to blow the Dinos off the rockwork
Filter floss - cut a square or rectangle of filter floss and hang it in a high flow area of the tank

I would blow the rocks off a few times throughout the day to help keep the Dinos suspended as much as possible. They'd attach to the filter floss square or end up in the filter cups in my sump caught in the PolyFil. Each morning before work and each evening before bed I would take the filter floss and PolyFil and rinse them and reinstall in the tank

On the other hand, i have found a (cheap) uv filter: https://aqualight.de/en/shop/filters-uv/uv-sterilizer/723/uvc-strahler-18watt

Has anyone got experience with this brand, Aqua Light?
I've never heard of that brand so I'm no help there, sorry.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new