Getting back in after 9 years

Shunopoli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So a little backstory. I have been out of the hobby for roughly 9 years. Around 9 years ago I had a 90 gallon on 75 foot print. My tank was a 3 year mixed reef established and just loved it. I was going through a divorce and my now ex-wife poured bleach into my tank when I was at work and killed everything just for spite. It has taken me this long to get back into the hobby cause I was devastated. I tell you what though the hobby has changed quite a bit especially in lighting( coming from MH and phoenix bulbs if i remember) and return pumps.

I have already started ordering and this is what I have waiting to be delivered so far.
Red Sea Reefer 250 ( I am already thinking I want to cancel and go bigger, but I just don't have the room in my house)
Octo VarioS-6
2 × ReefLED 90W WIFI Reef Spec LED
1 × DUAL 2K Gyre Pump Kit w/Wifi Controller - IceCap

I am still debating on what skimmer I want and I will be ordering a Neptune here soon.

Here are some questions. My ultimate goal is functional and quiet.
1.) What heater does one recommend? Do I need two?
2.) Is the varios 6 too much? Is there in benefit to go with like a cor 20 since I am getting the Neptune?
3.) What has for as and RO/DI? I don't think I would need a 100gpd system as I don't think I will be making that much water.
4.) What skimmer for this system? There are so many options.

I appreciate your responses and look forward to learning as much as can as it's been so long

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You’ve come to the right place for help. You should set a a build thread...

OP
OP
S

Shunopoli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You’ve come to the right place for help. You should set a a build thread...

I will for sure start one once the gear starts arriving

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,

So a little backstory. I have been out of the hobby for roughly 9 years. Around 9 years ago I had a 90 gallon on 75 foot print. My tank was a 3 year mixed reef established and just loved it. I was going through a divorce and my now ex-wife poured bleach into my tank when I was at work and killed everything just for spite. It has taken me this long to get back into the hobby cause I was devastated. I tell you what though the hobby has changed quite a bit especially in lighting( coming from MH and phoenix bulbs if i remember) and return pumps.

I have already started ordering and this is what I have waiting to be delivered so far.
Red Sea Reefer 250 ( I am already thinking I want to cancel and go bigger, but I just don't have the room in my house)
Octo VarioS-6

I am still debating on what skimmer I want and I will be ordering a Neptune here soon.

2.) Is the varios 6 too much? Is there in benefit to go with like a cor 20 since I am getting the Neptune?
3.) What has for as and RO/DI? I don't think I would need a 100gpd system as I don't think I will be making that much water.

I appreciate your responses and look forward to learning as much as can as it's been so long

#WelcometoR2R and welcome back to the hobby! When it comes to heaters, one thing to think about in addition to tank size is the difference between the ambient temperature and the desired water temperature. Another thing to think about is possibly getting a heater controller such as an Inkbird Digital Temperature Controller. The Varios 6 is a great pump. 100gpd isn't nearly as much as it sounds. There are a lot of opinions on skimmers - personally I am a big #reefoctopus fan and am currently using 3 of their skimmers on various systems and couldn't be more pleased.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, glad you decided to join. Sorry about what happened, but then you wouldn’t have met us, so it worked out in a cosmic way I hope. Keep us update. Peace gave you the 411 on the pump, rodi, and skimmer,

1585703122356.gif

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome back to the reef going to love it here!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun!!!
pics!!...we all love pics!!!!

Osler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice is to stick with what you know for now. When I got back into reef keeping 10 years ago I was distracted by the multitude of shiny objects that you now have available. The basics you used when you got out still work today - light, rock, skimmer, water changes. Add more as your taste in critters changes and only change one parameter at a time as you do.

I can't speak to the Varios or Cor. I will tell you that three of four Reef Octopus pumps I've had have failed (these were either water blasters or bubble blasters - not the Varios). That said, my return pump remains a water blaster. I'd love a Cor but Santa failed to deliver last year. As far as lights, I can't help you there. You're going to have to go down the rabbit hole. I run AI (best at the time I bought, IMO, but perhaps not now) but there is so much more out there today including all kinds of hybrid systems. Two heaters definitely. I would also go with 100 gpd or greater for RO/DI. You'll pat yourself on the back when you need water in a jiffy and it only takes an hour to get 5 gallons or more from your system. For a skimmer, I'd check out Bubble Magus and Reef Octopus. I have both and have been very satisfied. And the Neptune Apex is a game changer. Enjoy it, program it, and put that Fusion on your phone.

Osler

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I vote heater redundancy and reef octopus.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Trust me I don't need any help on the spending money part, but thank you for welcoming me. I will say this I can't promise I won't ask stupid questions, but there in good faith .
Lol. Nope. Not asking is stupid.

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Octo VarioS-6

First of all welcome!

1. I typically either ran two small ones or have a spare on hand. That’s given having an Apex with alarms/shut offs. You can find a ton of ways on the site here.

2. You can never have to much :)

3. My older system was a 90 tot gallon and the ROBuddy 50 gal was enough. I did add the BRS dual mixed bed as I was tired of changing the small mix bed you can buy for the RO Buddy.

4. I’m a fan of Reef Octopus. Good luck on two units both reliability and performance.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back