Getting back into the swing of things

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like many have said, I am new here, hello all! I used to have a 55 gallon (salt) and after many years of moving I have finally settled down enough to feel comfortable in starting up a new tank. I went to my LFS yesterday and they had an amazing deal on a tank/stand so rather than the 120g I wanted to go with I'll be starting a 75 for now. I am looking to go reef and purchase all of the goodies I need. I'll be reading the forums as it seems the hobby has come a LONG way in the last 10 years or so, but any advice is very , very welcome!

I would like to do a refugium for my 75, any advice there might be a great place to start?

Thanks!

luxauterna

A softy who loves softies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! There are so many experienced reefers here that will be able to give you great advice. Are you planning on doing a refugium as a chamber in your sump, or a separate refugium all together?

OP
OP
seastar

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A chamber in my sump, thanks for helping me to clarify! :) I've seen some with the first section being the protein skimmer and some live rock, the second the refugium, the third some media and the 4th the return pumps. I am very early in my research but would love to know if this is a good approach.

luxauterna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya that sounds like a very good setup. I would leave out the live rock in the skimmer chamber. I would put some pieces of live rock in the fuge chamber along with whichever macro algae you choose. If you plan on using some media in a baffle or chamber, I would stick with carbon. If you want to do some type of phosphate remover, I would use a reactor ( but it really depends on what you would like to have in your tank ). It is also nice to have a spot in your sump for your heater(s). There are a lot of schematics you can find on the google too :)

OP
OP
seastar

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonderful! I feel so welcome already. I forgot to mention I already purchased a phosphate remover, so I'll work that into the 3rd, I live in Florida so I need to get a chiller as well.

luxauterna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah yes. Not ever using halides and always being in Wisconsin when reef keeping, I have zero experience with chillers.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. :)

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Its great to have you!

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Welcome to Reef2Reef @seastar !* I have not used a chiller before here in Oregon.I am sure you will find some great suggestions if you post up the topic here- https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/equipment-lighting-hardware-aquarium-filtration.30/
Best of luck with your new system!
DSCF1470_zpsnjtwozy_edit_1433942313200.jpg

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 24 15.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 63 41.7%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 4.6%
Back