Getting your house sprayed for pests by an exterminator

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone here ever had their house or apartment sprayed for pests while their tank was running? If so, how did you protect it? Our house has an ant problem and the landlord has called an exterminator to come to the house. Apparently the exterminator will be spraying in the same room that has my two reef tanks. Any advice on how to protect my tank would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

saltwaternewb

Team Nikon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe call the pest control company and ask them what they recommend. I would say that at least get some heavy blankets or plastic to cover the tanks and some think rope to secure it tight around the tank.

R

reef-nut

View Badges
I have done this several times. I turned off my skimmer and the pump to my wet/dry filter I had at the time. I left the skimmer off for a couple days, but after they sad it was safe to go back in the house I turned my pump back on. Also I cut up trash bags or plastic sheeting, whatever it takes to cover to the floor and then I wrap tape around the plastic sheeting along the bottom close to the floor as tight as I could. I had no problems. I also turned off the lights.

OP
OP
ecotoxlady

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for your input everyone. I will definitely be speaking with the pest control company to see what they recommend as well but it seems that the consultant my landlord spoke with (who gave him the estimate at the house) had no idea what a reef tank even was let alone how it might need to be protected against the chemicals they spray. Anyone else have any suggestions?

OP
OP
ecotoxlady

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very helpful information and link! I definitely think this is something that everyone at some point will deal with in keeping a tank whether it is pest control or house renovations as the individual in the link described. I hope this will help others and please if there are any other useful tips, do add them :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back