ggNoRe's Prostar 200 Peninsula Build Thread

Went to a couple LFS today and couldn't resist. Got 3 banggai's, 1 blood shrimp, a yellow watchman goby, and a hammer coral. Was a little too rough with hammer when doing coral dip and got some white stringy stuff coming out. Hope he's ok!
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20210225_185636035.jpg
    PXL_20210225_185636035.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 138
  • PXL_20210225_183321053.jpg
    PXL_20210225_183321053.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 116
  • PXL_20210225_183311222.jpg
    PXL_20210225_183311222.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_20210225_111934.jpg
    IMG_20210225_111934.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 146
I'd put it in a lower light and low water movement area for a couple days and see how it reacts. Thats why I stay away from the LFS as much as I can. Temptation is high and I'm weak
LOL
 
No quarantine.

I did exactly what you recommended cut flow and kept the LEDs off for the day. Was looking much better just 30mins later.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20210225_203715980.jpg
    PXL_20210225_203715980.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 113
No quarantine.

I did exactly what you recommended cut flow and kept the LEDs off for the day. Was looking much better just 30mins later.
mine are sensitive to movement and intense direct water flow. I try to divert the circulation pumps so as to 'bounce' off the glass and create a wider indirect wave. Something to play with.
 
Came home from work today to see Yellow Watchman Goby dying. :( Best guess is the MP60 sucked him in and beat him up with it's propellers. Even at 1% that thing is too dang strong. I saw him before I went to work swimming for his life trying to escape it. And my wife said she saw the same thing when I was gone. Saw shrimps and snails literally eating him alive. Even though I'm sure he's a goner he was breathing so have him in ICU in my brine shrimp hatchery.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20210226_034753707.mp4
    23.3 MB
Not sure what happened but 2 of 3 cardinals died. All 3 fish that just died came from the same store so my best guess is they had very different water parameters and I didn't acclimate. From now on I will. My shipment of zoas came in from Tidalgardens. I'm really impressed with thus far. Everything came well shipped and with more polyps then disclosed. Trying something I have never seen before by putting of ceramic plates across the sand in hopes that they fill up looking like a zoa garden across the sand. I got bowsers, fruit loops, rastas, and purple hornets.

PXL_20210227_014723495.jpg PXL_20210227_014735377.jpg
 
Oh man, you need to sit back and let it all come together. Slow down on the shopping and deal with the task at hand. You have the foam covers for the MP60? Think of a quarantine tank...
 
you have some really nice corals. Check your parameters:
ALK
Calcium
Magnesium
Phosphates
Nitrates
I'm assuming your ammonia and nitrites are at zero?
Stability is key to success in this hobby.
NOTHING good happens fast in reefing.
I've been where you are more times than I care to remember. Be patient and keep track of everything, especially mistakes and then try to not repeat them.
 
I put the foam guard on MP60 after the goby situation. I test all parameters very frequently and log them in the Aquarium Note app to look for any trends.

Everything looks good except slightly high nitrates at -/+20 but that shouldn't be enough to be very harmful for fish from what I understand. But I definitely agree with everything you're saying. Zoas were ordered before fish died. Going to track things closely next few days before buying more fish. Super bummed about the deaths. It's more than just the money I really care for these guys. Spent a few hours with the goby trying to revive. He was so cool. :(
 
I put the foam guard on MP60 after the goby situation. I test all parameters very frequently and log them in the Aquarium Note app to look for any trends.

Everything looks good except slightly high nitrates at -/+20 but that shouldn't be enough to be very harmful for fish from what I understand. But I definitely agree with everything you're saying. Zoas were ordered before fish died. Going to track things closely next few days before buying more fish. Super bummed about the deaths. It's more than just the money I really care for these guys. Spent a few hours with the goby trying to revive. He was so cool. :(
it's a process. Take your time. You'll look back on all this as a learning process which will make you a better reefer.
 
Thought this was worth a post. Want to give shout outs to companies that I have had an exceptional experience with thus far. Algae Barn, Tidal Gardens, and Reefbreeders. All three companies have under promised and overdelivered. I won't hesitate to order from them again. Especially Reefbreeders amazing quick response and really make sure customer is taken care of. Going to buy one of their Coralbox WF-04 dosers now just for that reason.

All zoas opened up already and looking AMAZING. Those things are straight radioactive.
 
Water parameters were absolutely perfect today! Finally got my nitrates down to a comfortable place at 5, phosphates .03, Salinity 1.025, PH 8.18. Really happy with these numbers. After long consideration and speaking with Mike of ADG I really think it's the MP60 giving me grief. The already stressed fish that are acclimating are trying to fight a really strong current at the same time just stressing them out more. This time I turned all my pumps off except for the return which provides plenty of water agitation on its own. We shall see how it goes..

Zoas all fully opened up and looking great. Pretty stoked about that as well as they have only been in the tank one day. Need to order a orange filter so I can get some decent pics.
 
Got orange filter for phone. Thanks Amazon next day shipping!

Still not too happy with outcome but at least the hammer shot came out well.

Updated with better pictures. Filter + increased brightness.

PXL_20210228_174856046.jpg PXL_20210228_174849601.jpg PXL_20210301_040101414.jpg PXL_20210301_035855747.jpg PXL_20210301_040343780.jpg
 
Last edited:
Took my son to his dr appointment which happened to be on the same side of town as a LFS I always wanted to visit. Couldn't help myself...

Aussie Gold Hammer and some duncans.

Also found out that when taking pictures with only the T5s on and LEDs off they look good without filter or any other adjustments.

PXL_20210302_020133302.jpg PXL_20210302_034210099.jpg PXL_20210302_034331722.jpg
 
Last edited:
My blood shrimp are starting to get a little more aggressive than I would like and pester the corals when I feed but other than that livestock seem to be doing very well.

Got everything I need to start dosing now. Going to be a busy weekend.

Also sent my MP60 to service as it was starting to hum really loudly. After I get it back plan to sell it and buy a MP40 instead. It's just too strong for my tank.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20210305_034148070.jpg
    PXL_20210305_034148070.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 107
  • PXL_20210304_182523034.jpg
    PXL_20210304_182523034.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 113
  • PXL_20210304_182455776.jpg
    PXL_20210304_182455776.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 150
Picked up a goniopora today.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20210306_040858875.jpg
    PXL_20210306_040858875.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 118

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new