Ghl kh director diy reagent

paul01609

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys looking in to purchasing a ghl kh tester,I believe I can make my own reagent using hydrochloride acid 0.1M ? I have the Neptune apex and would rather own the alkatronic but a bit to much cash for me.
am I right in thinking I can make my own DIY reagent For the kh director

wilsonline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like many people use 0.1 N acid solution with no issues. Check this

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may use any 0.1 N strong acid. Either hydrochloric or sulfuric acid. After several test kits, I get the most consistent reading with the Hanna checker. So, I use this as my standard. The readings are adjusted by comparing the results to a reference standard solution. GHL has a standard solution as well as Fauna Marin that can be purchased.

The KH directors readings can then be adjusted to match these standards. When I use a new bottle of acid bought off of Amazon, I take the opportunity to calibrate the KHD pH probe and pumps.

wilsonline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a gallon of HCl 0.1N from amazon. The only problem is it will take like a month to come. I could have ordered the sulfuric acid, but idk. Not sure what may be the issues with the build-up of sulfates or if the sulfuric acid could have some weird action. That considering I want to dump the water back in the system. There's the option of 1.0 N of HCl acid which would come out super duper cheap in the long run, but I'm not sure how precise I would be able to dilute that and it's a lot less likely to make a mess if I use the reagent straight from the original bottle.

OP
OP
P

paul01609

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bring this up been using hydrochloric acid 0.1M (0.1N) with the kh director ands it’s been great.
but struggling to find it in the u.k and a good price,I company who I got it from last time has this instock

Hydrochloric Acid 0.2M (0.2N) Solution can this be diluted down?​

thanks

LostSoul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone try to make HCl 0.1N from HCL 1N?
Thats what i use. I have had problems with my KHD for almost 2 years. Up and down measurements all over the place. Back to back tests would run with a 1k diff in either direction. So switched to the HCl and i am within .1 between each test.

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How and where you guys order this from? Everywhere I look can't be delivered to residential address. I got Sulfuric acid not sure what differences are from HCL. So far no issues that I am aware of anyway.

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plucked up the courage to finally try this.

Got some HCL off Amazon. Can 100% confirm it works and is 95% cheaper. Done several tests now on the reference sample of 7.5 dKh and there’s no change.

Thank you!!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 165 61.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 92 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.2%
Back