GHL powerbars?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ChrisW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To anyone that already runs GHL controllers: I want to get into GHL so does that mean I’m looking at investing $500 in their powerbars as well?
Thanks!

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That depends on how many outlets you need to control. The P4e Starter Set and P4 Mega set comes with a Powerbar-6E which has 6 outlets.

Most will control their UV, UV pump, return pump, heater, media reactor pump and skimmer through the PB.

OP
OP
C

ChrisW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. So powerheads I guess I don’t necessarily need connected to the controller, I just got two Orphek compacts so those are connected to each other... sorry I’m just trying to sort this out so I know what’s necessary. Return pump for sure, UV, skimmer, I guess those are primary. What about powering any of the Directors? Ion and KH? I wanted to start with the Profilux 4e and just build up from there as funds become available

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. So powerheads I guess I don’t necessarily need connected to the controller, I just got two Orphek compacts so those are connected to each other... sorry I’m just trying to sort this out so I know what’s necessary. Return pump for sure, UV, skimmer, I guess those are primary. What about powering any of the Directors? Ion and KH? I wanted to start with the Profilux 4e and just build up from there as funds become available
KHD, IOD, Dosers are all plugged directly into the wall, but are controlled by the P4.
I run (4) Ecotech MP40's which are plugged into the wall but also controlled by the P4 using the Vortech module. Same for my return pump.

OP
OP
C

ChrisW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ok that gives me some clarity thanks. So your return pump isn’t on their powerbar either? Do you only have one of their powerbars?

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ok that gives me some clarity thanks. So your return pump isn’t on their powerbar either? Do you only have one of their powerbars?
My return is plugged directly in, and controlled by the Royal Exclusive 1-10v interface.
I have 3 of the power bars. 2 upstairs tank side, one downstairs to control my chiller and pump.
I could get away with one one upstairs.
Plugged into the power bars:
2 heaters
UV
Ozone
Air pump
Skimmer

OP
OP
C

ChrisW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright that helps tremendously. Pulling the trigger on the profilux 4e to get things started. Then working my up from there to the KH and Ion directors
Thanks for the info and clearing a few things for me

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your powerheads are close to the surface of the water you may want to have them plugged into a powerbar as well. If you lose power and water drains into your sump (assuming you are using a sump) it could expose the powerheads to the air when power comes back on. I like to use the delayed on programming to have the power heads come on a few minutes after power has been restored to give the tank and sump a chance to get to their proper water levels.

OP
OP
C

ChrisW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good tip I do have a sump and I currently have an apex and 4 vortech powerheads but not the vortech module. I didn’t know if I wanted to invest more into the apex if I was going to switch to GHL. After a few hours of thinking this through Im wondering if I should continue with the Apex alongside the GHL. I just was having a hard time getting my head wrapped around having to spend $500+ on powerbars alone with GHL. I started looking into their Powerhub 6d-PAB bc it looks like you can run more than one device per channel. But I might be way off on that as well

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started looking into their Powerhub 6d-PAB bc it looks like you can run more than one device per channel. But I might be way off on that as well
Yes you can - but that you can do with a powerbar too as long as you not exceed the amperage the socket is classed for. Just add extra branch sockets to the same power bar socket.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
C

ChrisW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh you can? Branch socket, ok I’ll have to look into that
Thanks for the tip @Lasse
Yes you can - but that you can do with a powerbar too as long as you not exceed the amperage the socket is classed for. Just add extra branch sockets to the same power bar socket.

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know if I use the right word in english - I´m not native english speaker - but I ment things like this (Europe versions) I think you have similar in the US

1616189122140.png

1616189163335.png

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
C

ChrisW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know if I use the right word in english - I´m not native english speaker - but I ment things like this (Europe versions) I think you have similar in the US

1616189122140.png

1616189163335.png

Sincerely Lasse
Yep I got you I understood what you meant. Just need to make sure that specific socket isn’t being overloaded. That seems a better idea than buying 3 of the GHL powerbars. Thats about the same cost as one of their KH or Ion directors. Sheesh!...
Thanks for the advice !

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of the power bars as controllable on off switches. I plug my pumps into my power bars to shut them off and on for feedings and maintenance. But to save sockets you can double up items like pumps on the same socket. Just don’t exceed the amp rating of the powerbar socket. I have 2 MP40s in 1 socket each. Also two Maxspect Gyres in 1 socket. And so on..

I have my skimmer in a socket and control it on and off... well you get the point.

If anything is always going to be on then just use a regular wall socket or a battery back up and surge suppressor.

OP
OP
C

ChrisW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of the power bars as controllable on off switches. I plug my pumps into my power bars to shut them off and on for feedings and maintenance. But to save sockets you can double up items like pumps on the same socket. Just don’t exceed the amp rating of the powerbar socket. I have 2 MP40s in 1 socket each. Also two Maxspect Gyres in 1 socket. And so on..

I have my skimmer in a socket and control it on and off... well you get the point.

If anything is always going to be on then just use a regular wall socket or a battery back up and surge suppressor.
Do you run any GHL components? Pros? Cons? Regrets? Hindsight? do you mind going a bit more in depth into the doubling up of devices on a single socket? did you cut off the plug and hardwire the the two together? Like whats required to use GHLs Powerhub 6d-PAB?
I think I am going to continue with the Apex alongside the GHL, I have two powerbars with it, and it has revealed to serve its purpose, so selling it off isnt going to subsidize any potential GHL purchase.
Thanks for the response!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO . if you not invest in a power bar or power hub - keep you old system as it is. You need power bars in order to manage top-off. alarm situations (like stop the return pump) manage streamers on/of at feeding time and so on. Otherwise you will only use your pH as a monitoring equipment. If you want KH director or ion director (or stand alone dosing pumps) - just use a GHL Stand Alone dosing pump

According to use one power sockets for multiple use - just plug in an extension bar as you can see on this picture (note old types of GHL power bars). you do not need to hardware anything

1616496413200.png

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
C

ChrisW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I get it now. I am going to continue w/ the Apex for exactly those purposes. I am going to get the Ion and KH directors, I just really prefer them over Apex/Neptune. I have to rely on forums like this to get info on things like GHL because they do not have much exposure here in the states. Same with Orphek. I went with those lights without ever seeing them, just research online and on this forum. But it worked out great, they are excellent. Thanks again for all the advice and direction @Lasse, been a big help on all this
Cheers

tjensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright that helps tremendously. Pulling the trigger on the profilux 4e to get things started. Then working my up from there to the KH and Ion directors
Thanks for the info and clearing a few things for me
i just bought the GHL and I love it. it takes patients setting it up.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back