Giant Electric Blue Hermits

Zekkal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm fairly new to the reef keeping hobby, my first tank is about a year old now, and in that time I've gotten a few different kinds of hermit crabs. The most shocking is an Electric Blue Hermit, pun intended.

I had wanted to get one, but thought they were kind of expensive ($15 at the LFS.) But while talking to some of the guys there, we ended up making a bet. Loser buys the Winner something they want under $20. I ended up walking out of the store with an Electric Blue Hermit.

He was fairly small, the shell was about 1" but over the past few months he's grown considerably and is without a doubt my largest hermit crab now, runner up is an orange and black.
I had bought 2 of the giant Knobby Creeper ceriths from Reef cleaners, gave one to a local kid in the hobby who thought it was cool and I kept the other. All was well until one day I noticed this Electric Blue stumbling around the tank in this "new to him" 3" Cerith shell.

Shell size wise, where should this hermit species max out, what size and types of shells should I be adding to the tank for him in the future, where would I find them, or has he about peaked in size? Last picture is him riding a 2.5-3" top crown snail earlier today, not sure if he's eyeing his next shell or simply hitching a ride.

Just Imagine the strength, as a hermit, he must have to carry that fortress of a shell around. All the other hermits can do, is bow to his might haha

received_1335236257284182.jpeg received_644820733794383.jpeg received_1602777193494990.jpeg

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty cool! I like those crabs too......I would keep tossing shells at him....I would think a large turbo snail shell would be more than enough......what a thug! lol

slapppc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aw, I love mine. It's named Wanda from it's once very very pinked out shell. Outlived multiple tanks, multiple tankmates. Funny how the top five favorites always cost like $2.04 when the ones that hide and don't eat cost the gdp of a small country.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back