Gig ‘ems Grand Gigantea Gathering

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you boys talking about this nem recently from anon? Im no expert but that looks like a Mertens to me

IMG_2504.jpeg

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you boys talking about this nem recently from anon? Im no expert but that looks like a Mertens to me

IMG_2504.jpeg
Yeah that’s the one, I was going to ask for feet pics (lol) to get an ID before I ordered. they play it fast and loose with coral IDs, but in their defense there’s a lot of conflicting info out there.

@Asagi want to race to see who can color up our white gigs the fastest? I might have a head start… :D

Attachments

• IMG_4001.jpeg
    IMG_4001.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 59

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s the one, I was going to ask for feet pics (lol) to get an ID before I ordered. they play it fast and loose with coral IDs, but in their defense there’s a lot of conflicting info out there.

@Asagi want to race to see who can color up our white gigs the fastest? I might have a head start… :D
I dunno bro, i cook my tank under halides!

But they are under treatment until I think Thursday.

Good news on the gig not being a mertens!

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's a nice looking gig. Can you drop a pic with the white lights on?

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so my gigs arrived, they seem to be in pretty good shape. I'm dripping them at the moment.

Plus a bonus, I also received a new mag, purple foot, green petal/tentacles and gold tip. It also arrived in decent shape. As soon as I'm done dripping they all go into qt, mag by himself, and the gigs share a qt.

20230912_113030.jpg 20230912_112911.jpg

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno bro, i cook my tank under halides!

But they are under treatment until I think Thursday.

Good news on the gig not being a mertens!
It’s definitely a Mertens imo, it sold before I could ask for a pic id lol. might not even be a carpet.

That's a nice looking gig. Can you drop a pic with the white lights on?
Thx! Definitely in rough shape but fixable. Thanks for reminding me to set up my Prime, here’s an attempt at a daylight photo. I’m not winning any pulitzer lol. Cipro starts tonight to annihilate any trace of infection.

congrats on the new nems! yea wow that fluorescent one is blinding me through the screen. :D

IMG_4002.jpeg

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s definitely a Mertens imo, it sold before I could ask for a pic id lol. might not even be a carpet.

Thx! Definitely in rough shape but fixable. Thanks for reminding me to set up my Prime, here’s an attempt at a daylight photo. I’m not winning any pulitzer lol. Cipro starts tonight to annihilate any trace of infection.

congrats on the new nems! yea wow that fluorescent one is blinding me through the screen. :D

IMG_4002.jpeg
That one looks GOOD to me...it should color up nicely ..

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@gig 'em
Have you ever used an AI engine and asked them how gigantea carpet anemones are triggered into spawning?
I just went down that rabbit hole and AI has quite a bit to say about how to make them spawn
No, but my system is programmed to replicate environmental cues and has been running that way for a few years. My hope was to get the gigs to spawn and raise the babies. So far I have a bunch of Aussie gold torch babies and I’ve had acros spawn multiple times. Unfortunately I have not witnessed the gigs spawning yet. There must be something else that triggers them to spawn, or I have missed them spawning.

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, but my system is programmed to replicate environmental cues and has been running that way for a few years. My hope was to get the gigs to spawn and raise the babies. So far I have a bunch of Aussie gold torch babies and I’ve had acros spawn multiple times. Unfortunately I have not witnessed the gigs spawning yet. There must be something else that triggers them to spawn, or I have missed them spawning.
Have you tried scented candles or kind words?! I’ve tried yelling, that seemed to have no effect other than my family questioning everything.

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come on, everyone knows to set the mood or environment you need some Marvin Gaye playing in the background.

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3989.jpeg

Wintermint lady passed the Foot Inspection with flying colors! I wish I had taken a photo of the brown blemish because it seems to have vanished after the Cipro course. Also have another gig cooking (going thru treatment) from a local shop thanks to @jamie1210! ❤️

Looks to be a blue foot with green tentacles, but difficult to tell at this level of bleaching. Should be all upwards from here though, no major signs of illness!

Glad you picked it up! :)

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever tried a period of darkness followed by a temperature increase to induce spawning? I know light/temperature changes are used to induce spawning in labs for at least one species of anemone (I’d have to search for the article), it was not a hobby anemone, not aptasia, but something smaller like that I believe…..I believe it’s also used to induce spawns in abalones….just curious if anyone has done any experimenting?

Funlad3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna jump in on this thread and see if anyone has a trick to get gigs to color back up – I've had a blue for about four years that did great for years and started to shrink and bleach out over a period of months. I removed some nasty looking BTAs that I assume were playing chemical warfare, changed carbon, and removed the gig to a cycled nano tank where I did 10 days of cipro with 50% water changes. It's still sticky, but it hides under a piece of branch rock and doesn't like to eat. Is there a silver bullet other than patience to get it colored back up?

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First ever Gig in my tanks over the years. Was lucky enough to pick it up from Ali this past weekend. Super healthy and so stoked to add this to the tank.
Congrats! He had that one cooking for you for a while, right? I remember seeing a similar one in the back room. What a beaut :D

@MikeyA Do you deal with any chemical warfare in your tank? Since you have S. Haddoni, S. Gigantea and H. Magnifica in one amazing display

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! He had that one cooking for you for a while, right? I remember seeing a similar one in the back room. What a beaut :D

@MikeyA Do you deal with any chemical warfare in your tank? Since you have S. Haddoni, S. Gigantea and H. Magnifica in one amazing display
@billysprout, never had a chemical warfare episode in my system. They all get along fine and even have come into contact with each other on occasion (haddoni-gigs) (haddoni-mag). As you can see my mag and gig like to share a rock. All the rock in my tank and both want that one rock lol.

Also I don't run carbon either.

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was mentioned some time ago that someone did a DNA profile on various nems (gigs, mag, haddoni) and discovered that gigs are more closely related to mags than haddoni's.

I can't remember which thread this was mentioned in our who said, maybe @D-Nak, @Hot2na, @gig 'em, or someone can remember.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back