Gig ‘ems Grand Gigantea Gathering

Zestfullyclean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! He had that one cooking for you for a while, right? I remember seeing a similar one in the back room. What a beaut :D

@MikeyA Do you deal with any chemical warfare in your tank? Since you have S. Haddoni, S. Gigantea and H. Magnifica in one amazing display
Yeah he was taking care of it for a long time in the back and has held it for me for quite some time. Feel like I’m cheating a bit getting one so healthy right from the start!

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna jump in on this thread and see if anyone has a trick to get gigs to color back up – I've had a blue for about four years that did great for years and started to shrink and bleach out over a period of months. I removed some nasty looking BTAs that I assume were playing chemical warfare, changed carbon, and removed the gig to a cycled nano tank where I did 10 days of cipro with 50% water changes. It's still sticky, but it hides under a piece of branch rock and doesn't like to eat. Is there a silver bullet other than patience to get it colored back up?
@Funlad3, your case seems pretty unique. I'm not the expert but any means but I'll try and help as best I can. So this gig had been in your system for 4 years and began shrinking and bleaching? When were the btas added to that tank? Who was added first, gig or btas? I'm having difficulty thinking it's chemical warfare that is affecting the gig. Gigs have a lot more power than a bta. If any nem would be affected by the other nem I would guess it's the btas that would be affected. Did you change salts or any routine during this time frame? Lighting, flow? How's your make up water and tds readings?

If you're doing cipro you need to do a 100% water change everyday that you're dosing. Always dose at night after lights out. Lighting degrades cipro so dosing during lights on period will do you no good.

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Funlad3, post pics. Is your gig showing signs on infection? Gaping mouth, constant deflation, etc. Is there anything from the original system that you transferred over to the nano, lighting, pumps, heater, rock, anything?

Funlad3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Funlad3, post pics. Is your gig showing signs on infection? Gaping mouth, constant deflation, etc. Is there anything from the original system that you transferred over to the nano, lighting, pumps, heater, rock, anything?
No gaping mouth, normal inflation daily, just likes to hide under rocks and not eat any food after grabbing onto it. Confident there's no infection going on, it's just being stubborn about coloring back up in the holding tank. I do have it in an acclimation box with a powerhead moving water through the holes in the box, so all I can think to do is to up the flow by running a utility pump from the tank itself into the box so there's no chance of it encountering any motors?

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the holes in the box are small i’d worry about it not getting enough flow. cnidarians need flow to exchange water and dislodge waste products so it may just be choking a bit on its own waste.

this is the quarantine i typically use for my nems; pretend there’s egg crate in front of the powerhead lol. the nem is in a bowl with rock rubble. i use egg crate to keep the gig from climbing into the powerhead and heaters, it hasn’t failed me yet with a sample size of 3 carpets =)

@Funlad3 what light do you use on the quarantine?

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it under Kessil A360s for the first few years, and under an A360x in the QT. I'm thinking it's probably a flow issue -- I'll change it up and report back!
def get a second opinion, i'm a gig noob.

@Asagi can gigs take high par when they're bleached like our two?

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do wish Ciprofloxacin worked for me like it does for you guys. Just lost a blue and two purples after a two week struggle, and I started treatment with the first deflate. Now my green has just deflated for the first time. It might wipe out my entire gig collection. :( :( On the flip side, cipro saves the mags every time...so strange. But if a gig gets sick, I have almost a zero track record of saving it with antibiotics

Any thoughts on Azythromycin or Clindamycin @OrionN?

Last edited:

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do wish Ciprofloxacin worked for me like it does for you guys. Just lost a blue and two purples after a two week struggle, and I started treatment with the first deflate. Now my green has just deflated for the first time. It might wipe out my entire gig collection. :( :( On the flip side, cipro saves the mags every time...so strange. But if a gig gets sick, I have almost a zero track record of saving it with antibiotics

omg that is devastating D: i lost my first gig, a blue, to an infection too. there’s no worse feeling than putting all that work in and not seeing results.

maybe the infection strain in your tank is cipro resistant? Hope you have luck with some other abx

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think it does have a lot to do with lighting and flow. These animals want ALOT of light.

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea dude, i think you should blast them with as much light as you can.
Okay i will try. It shrinks up against the rocks during the day which made me feel like it was getting too much light.

But it’s just an AI prime about 15” above the nem so that might be a silly assumption. I’ll turn on a 5 day acclimation mode and see what I can learn.

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay i will try. It shrinks up against the rocks during the day which made me feel like it was getting too much light.

But it’s just an AI prime about 15” above the nem so that might be a silly assumption. I’ll turn on a 5 day acclimation mode and see what I can learn.
What percentage is your UV.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My last go round - I used amoxicillin and cipro together ..worked extremely well ...I think I will use both together from now on...Fwiw

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread has really taken on a life of its own. The sharing of knowledge is great! However, to be respectful of the OP, and to allow us to help with targeted questions and concerns pertaining to specific gigs, it's best that new threads are started instead of adding to this one.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last go round - I used amoxicillin and cipro together ..worked extremely well ...I think I will use both together from now on...Fwiw
Tried that my last go-around…

Best luck I’ve had is in tank (not QT) combo of Ciprofloxacin and Lexofloxacin.

I wonder if QT is what does them in more than anything. I can never keep the water quality up even with daily 100% WCs.

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was mentioned some time ago that someone did a DNA profile on various nems (gigs, mag, haddoni) and discovered that gigs are more closely related to mags than haddoni's.

I can't remember which thread this was mentioned in our who said, maybe @D-Nak, @Hot2na, @gig 'em, or someone can remember.
I do remember reading that paper and yes, it was determined that magnificas and giganteas are more closely related.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back