Gigantea help

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input, but a drip acclimation of an anemone in putrid water isn’t ever a good idea. Also, gigs require high flow and it can help them recover. There were heat packs, but obviously they were cold by the time the anemone arrived. I don’t think I’m going to order any live animals until spring. The delay was due to worker shortages from Covid.
It kills me that shippers don’t use 60+ hour heat packs. I get cost savings, but I buy them in bulk and it is 2 dollars per a hundred packs more expensive.

OP
OP
Rtaylor

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have passed up quite a few nems recently if not able to get shipped via an airline and I pick up at the airport. With an exception for one order. I know the person sending it and ate additional shipping price for more size/weight. Box was larger, super insulated and nem was in as much water as would fit in box and allow heat packs to be added.

how was the packaging? And did you measure temp in box? I only ask, as I just shipped a bunch of macro and gorgs via 2 day usps and all arrived with bags at 77-78 with no issues. TN to Georgia, but hit a not temp controlled usps hub and sat there till next day. I know not the same, but packaging and proper heat pack placement has a lot to do with getting things to where they need to go and survive a delay.
The packaging was mediocre. A thin styrofoam cooler with two heat packs inside the lid. Newspaper separating the heat packs from the nem. Heat packs were cold by the time I got it. With the worker shortage being the issue and the scan history in tracking, I wonder if it didn’t sit outside in a truck or plane in below freezing temperatures for an extended period of time. Package was coming NY to WI, it was even below freezing in Memphis which isn’t typical. I’ve had things shipped in very cold weather many times and as long as there isn’t a delay has always been good. It sucks, I hate knowing one of these animals died at least partially due to me. I won’t be ordering any livestock for a while.
Edit: I didn’t measure the temp in the box

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the input, but a drip acclimation of an anemone in putrid water isn’t ever a good idea. Also, gigs require high flow and it can help them recover. There were heat packs, but obviously they were cold by the time the anemone arrived. I don’t think I’m going to order any live animals until spring. The delay was due to worker shortages from Covid.
I never order livestock from November through March due to temperatures and holiday delays.
Regarding delays- It seems to be a norm for shippers who do not care as long as they do their job- Get package delivered regardless of what day it arrives.

OP
OP
Rtaylor

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never order livestock from November through March due to temperatures and holiday delays.
Regarding delays- It seems to be a norm for shippers who do not care as long as they do their job- Get package delivered regardless of what day it arrives.
The thing that really sucks is I’ve been trying to find a gigantea or two and they only seem to be available in the winter. They are really hard to find even then. So if I can’t order anything in the winter, I likely won’t ever find one. None of the lfs that I have been to (there aren’t many and they are almost all very small) ever have them. I’ve asked a couple if they could order one for me, but haven’t found one that will (or they aren’t available either).

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Either scrambled egg or Sunny D.
Pics really need to be taken under white lighting. Heavy blue makes identification of anything very difficult

reefman888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have seen when carpet in that shape from bad shipping, try flip it upside down on dry surface for 30 mins.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not attempt shipping around this time -- too many delays and it's simply too cold. If have to ship, airport to airport is best. Otherwise, I suggest having your LFS order one for you. That way it'll most likely come with a pooled order, in a larger styrofoam box with better attention to packing.

For the next attempt, I would go with a larger QT system. 10 gallons is about right. I think gigantea react to osmotic pressure (they can sense how much water is around them) and in my experience a 10 gallon tank worked a lot better than one that was filled with only 5 gallons. You really want to dilute the pathogen and waste to the point where it isn't drastically affecting the gig.

Lastly, if the gig doesn't inflate, it's not taking in much medication. Looked like yours never really had a fighting chance. Sorry.

OP
OP
Rtaylor

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not attempt shipping around this time -- too many delays and it's simply too cold. If have to ship, airport to airport is best. Otherwise, I suggest having your LFS order one for you. That way it'll most likely come with a pooled order, in a larger styrofoam box with better attention to packing.

For the next attempt, I would go with a larger QT system. 10 gallons is about right. I think gigantea react to osmotic pressure (they can sense how much water is around them) and in my experience a 10 gallon tank worked a lot better than one that was filled with only 5 gallons. You really want to dilute the pathogen and waste to the point where it isn't drastically affecting the gig.

Lastly, if the gig doesn't inflate, it's not taking in much medication. Looked like yours never really had a fighting chance. Sorry.
Thanks for the info

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back