Gigas Clam - Issue

coral49

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this Gigas Clam for 2+ years, picture doesn't quite show size but it's about 9". I have several other clams that are 8+ years old with no new additions in years.

The gigas is attached to a flat rock under sand. Well a new diamond goby dung a cave under it and moved all the sand away on 1 side of it. 3 days ago i rotated 180 degrees the rock and move the sand around the clam again. Then next day it has a huge retraction of at least 1 to 2 inches. After 3 days it has not corrected itself.

Any thoughts on how to fix it. I don't think it PMD, no reason to have it now.

Side note - I am really mad at adding the diamond goby, never had one before and it is reeking havoc on everything. Digging huge holes and tunnels. Anyone know how to catch one with tearing a tank apart.

clam.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

coral49

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side note #2.. I can tell the clam is upset. My tank parameters are very stable. I dose 2 part and have trident. Everything has been in balance for many months, I notice today both Alk and Calcium are starting to increase slightly by 5%. I am sure it's because the Gigas is very grumpy, that clam demands a lot of dosing.

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you can find a PVC union (like 4-6' inch) you can use that to lift the clam up away from sand bed to prevent any further harassment

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The diamond goby could very well have spit sand into the clam's opening, which might be one reason why it's still unhappy. Not sure how you could get it out without the clam closing, maybe try holding the clam upside down very gently for a few minutes?
I totally feel you man. Diamond gobies, and all of their relatives, are some of the most destructive fish I've ever had. They just ruin everything, and forget even trying to have fungia or meat corals with them! I was relieved when mine jumped out.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back