Gigas Clam

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My not quite LFS posted on FB that they were putting in an ORA order. I asked them if they could do a certain price and they sent an invoice :D

I'll be picking it up sometime in the next week or so depending on when their order comes in and my days off of work because I'll be driving 2 hours each way plus traffic to get it.

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My not quite LFS posted on FB that they were putting in an ORA order. I asked them if they could do a certain price and they sent an invoice :D

I'll be picking it up sometime in the next week or so depending on when their order comes in and my days off of work because I'll be driving 2 hours each way plus traffic to get it.
Whoa, that a lot of driving

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 6. Very happy clam!

60337D82-1889-4447-BD5E-CFEA0430CEB3.jpeg

Aframereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received mine along with a Derasa.
I noticed something interesting. I have been lowering my salinity the last few months after calibrating my refractometer using Hanna instruments 35.00ppt solution. My tank is at 1.027, the water with the gigas was 1.033. Seems high but I currently have zero confidence in this cal solution. Can the next person that gets a clam please check their water?
FYI clam water Ca = 420, Mg =1200, Dkh =8.5 using Salifert

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received mine along with a Derasa.
I noticed something interesting. I have been lowering my salinity the last few months after calibrating my refractometer using Hanna instruments 35.00ppt solution. My tank is at 1.027, the water with the gigas was 1.033. Seems high but I currently have zero confidence in this cal solution. Can the next person that gets a clam please check their water?
FYI clam water Ca = 420, Mg =1200, Dkh =8.5 using Salifert
I wouldn’t put much trust into trying to match the water the clam was shipped in. Most of the online companies have a fast turnover rate on stock and if they are a little low that’s less salt for them to use, but will keep things alive for a few weeks. I have the same meter and have my tank at 1.035 on the dot and tank is doing great

Aframereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found it interesting how wide of a range your salinity can be and stuff still lives. 6 months ago my tank was 1.040 or higher. Tank wasn't great but nonthing died. Now my dersas has been growing well again. Hope the new clams do well. My gigas is nice and open.

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found it interesting how wide of a range your salinity can be and stuff still lives. 6 months ago my tank was 1.040 or higher. Tank wasn't great but nonthing died. Now my dersas has been growing well again. Hope the new clams do well. My gigas is nice and open.
Dude these animals sit outside the water during low tide in the wild and get rained on. They can take a lot!

Aframereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an interesting point, especially if you had a down pour, some of those clams could sit in extremely low salinity water for hours. I was also referring to everything else in the tank too. I have just always been lead to believe salinity in localized area was pretty constant. I know it varies a lot from different points around the world. Every time you see recommended salinity numbers for reef tanks it is in a small range. Seems to be quite a bit larger.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back