Gigas Clam

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want to be negative but I’ve never gotten a clam from them that survived long term. That has just been my experience, I am sure others have had good luck with them. Have lots of clams doing great... but not from here. If i could actually hand pick the one that I wanted, still firmly attached to its substrate and not thrown around buy UPS for 18 hours, I would be tempted. I'm still tempted but my last order with them cost me 1500.00 and was almost a total loss. I have made some calls to some other suppliers to see if they have availability. Patience...

Where was it from?

Divers den in WI is have had horrible experience with, even if ORA clams. However this guy is from ORA directly out of Florida which have been fantastic for me. Off the LA site there are 3 places clams come from, California, Wisconsin or direct from ORA in FL.

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, don't mean ORA, the work they do is fantastic. I mean Specifically LiveAquaria. I was one of those that got one of the 2 Ningaloo clams this past December. This would have not been an ORA or Biota clam. See the attached thread. This was not the only clam that I got in this order but it was the most expensive. If my recollection is correct it was 550.00. Neither of the two Ningaloo clams that they had survived if you look at the attached thread. Mine lasted 17 days. I reported it the day it arrived and was told that if it dies within 15 days to let them know. I have ordered several clams from them in the past. Long term survival has not been good. I do have several clams from a different retail outlet and have no issues. They do not have large quantities so I have to wait but they are always great. I really didn't want to bash anyone. I truly want a couple of these as I have been looking a long time. Just hesitant.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/nigaloo-clam-for-sale-on-dd.509412/page-2#post-5409444

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, don't mean ORA, the work they do is fantastic. I mean Specifically LiveAquaria. I was one of those that got one of the 2 Ningaloo clams this past December. This would have not been an ORA or Biota clam. See the attached thread. This was not the only clam that I got in this order but it was the most expensive. If my recollection is correct it was 550.00. Neither of the two Ningaloo clams that they had survived if you look at the attached thread. Mine lasted 17 days. I reported it the day it arrived and was told that if it dies within 15 days to let them know. I have ordered several clams from them in the past. Long term survival has not been good. I do have several clams from a different retail outlet and have no issues. They do not have large quantities so I have to wait but they are always great. I really didn't want to bash anyone. I truly want a couple of these as I have been looking a long time. Just hesitant.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/nigaloo-clam-for-sale-on-dd.509412/page-2#post-5409444

Oh I remember these. I lost 40 clams. 40, from getting a divers den clam from WI that spread something to the system. I have ordered via LA ORA Florida a few times for clams and they were tp notch. I wouldn't have ordered if these gigas touched divers den water.

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read up on clam protozoa. A lot of the clams apparently carry it but until they are extremely stressed, they can live with it. I have seen a couple of times that people add one clam to their tank and wiped out every one that they already have. Are these Gigas shipping direct from ORA in Florida? That could change my mind. I worry about my 6" blue Squamosa. He's a big fat chunky boy. I don't want to risk him. I like the Squamosa and the Gigas (Durasa too) as the shell shape is not the elongated Maxima look. They are thicker lower in the shell as they rely on their weight to keep them stationary on the bottom instead of being attached to the reef. More of your traditional "giant clammy" look. :)

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read up on clam protozoa. A lot of the clams apparently carry it but until they are extremely stressed, they can live with it. I have seen a couple of times that people add one clam to their tank and wiped out every one that they already have. Are these Gigas shipping direct from ORA in Florida? That could change my mind. I worry about my 6" blue Squamosa. He's a big fat chunky boy. I don't want to risk him. I like the Squamosa and the Gigas (Durasa too) as the shell shape is not the elongated Maxima look. They are thicker lower in the shell as they rely on their weight to keep them stationary on the bottom instead of being attached to the reef. More of your traditional "giant clammy" look. :)

I would personally QT it for a while if possible just because 6" blue squammy are so amazing!

But yes, these ship from FL direct from ORA. Just need to look on product page and should say shipping location. I even chatted with ORA directly about their clams and didn't say I had an order via LA but they recognized my name, lol.

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so i have been blowing up my guys email since I saw this. He now has some arriving later this week.

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that’s terrible. I have several ORA clams. One for about 6 years now. I think the majority of clams sold into the trade domestically come from them, am I wrong?

They say if you don’t buy ORA clam from liveaquaria (LA facility) and DD (WI facility) you should be fine. Earlier this year I got one Maxima and one Squamosa from liveaquaria LA none of them made to the one month mark. Later I got two Maxima from Pacific East Aquaculture and one from my LFS they all have been happy and growing

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the majority of clams in the USA trade are not ORA but ORA does have a large footprint. A lot of what LA sells are not ORA like the hippos (biota) and the blue squammys they get in. Pacific east aquaculture has their own arrangement with some clam farms so none of those are ora either.

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick iPhone picture. 2 1/2 inches. Arrived around 11:00 am and in tank at 1:00 pm CT, about 6 hours before picture.
2D23FB4D-1535-4C0F-A68D-66CD47109918.jpeg

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A
Agreed on the blue squamosa. My favorite clam too!

Shredded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all of us that get these, It would be cool to keep track of successes or failures. I noticed in the one pic that the clam was not attached to anything when it arrived. I am assuming at this point in its life that it still needs to attach to something until it gets bigger that its own size and weight can hold itself in place. True or not?

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i remember those ningaloo clams ... these were gorgeous specimens. i even saved the pics lol.

best of luck to all the new gigas parents out there. i will enjoy watching them grow vicariously thru forum updates. :)

Aframereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to order one. My last one went from 4 inches to 18 in 4 years. Then lost it during a move. Time to dust off the 800G tank and get a new build going.

Back