Gigas Grow Out Thread

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always wanted one at home, just get so big. Here's the one I took care of when I was working for a public AQ. Shell measured 24", 3000g display before anyone asks.
P1280430.JPG

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well mine didn't make it.

That's a bummer. I'm not real sure what's going on with mine. It's not growing at the pace of some of the others. I've tried moving it up for more light, I feed phyto, I've tried 2 different tanks, and tested just about every param I can think of. I've got a Deresa that's been in both of those tanks under the same lights and so on that seems to be growing fine. The gigas doesn't seem to be dying but it's not having tank buster growth. And when I move it up it seems to jump back down before long so now I leave it in the sand and it's getting ~200ish par.

DogsRule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 4 days of little improvement I did a 30 minute fresh water dip

I'm old school & never heard of doing a FW dip for 30 mins. When pinched mantle (PM) was common 10 years ago it was suggested a 5-10 min FW dip. I did this for a few Max & Crocea clams & it always had positive effects. Gigas never seemed to be affected by PM back then, but maybe things have changed. I still wouldn't do a 30 min FW dip though- just seems too long & stressing the clam too much, which makes it prone to further issues. If the 30 min FW dip worked, then that is awesome & like I said, things have changed.

DogsRule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20191215_204536.jpg
20191215_204432.jpg
20191215_204448.jpg

Gigas is now about 5" but growth has slowed as now appears to be adding mass to shell rather than size. Derasa still plodding along & close to 12". Max is about 6" & I moved it up into the reef last month.
Would like to add a Hippo to the sand bed & another small Max or 2 to place up in the SPS colonies
20191215_204448.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm old school & never heard of doing a FW dip for 30 mins. When pinched mantle (PM) was common 10 years ago it was suggested a 5-10 min FW dip. I did this for a few Max & Crocea clams & it always had positive effects. Gigas never seemed to be affected by PM back then, but maybe things have changed. I still wouldn't do a 30 min FW dip though- just seems too long & stressing the clam too much, which makes it prone to further issues. If the 30 min FW dip worked, then that is awesome & like I said, things have changed.
I was the person who actually named the disease Pinched Mantle Disease and first tried and successfully treat it with FWD. everything I wrote about this protocol was treated with 30 mins FWD started back in 2002.
Back then I got all 6 species of Tridacna in my tank included T. noae. They were knower as teardrop Maxima back then. All of them were infected including my huge Gigas.

wjgeese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was the person who actually named the disease Pinched Mantle Disease and first tried and successfully treat it with FWD. everything I wrote about this protocol was treated with 30 mins FWD started back in 2002.
Back then I got all 6 species of Tridacna in my tank included T. noae. They were knower as teardrop Maxima back then. All of them were infected including my huge Gigas.
lol...did you invent the internet too? :)

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol...did you invent the internet too? :)
I was having issues with my elegance and Minh suggested I FW dip my elegance and it’s doing great today. A fish doesn’t go into my system without a FW dip either. Orion is known as the master of creating flame angel pairs also.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine. Delivered on 7/9/19. Attached in a couple hours (yay!). Lighting is 300-350 par orphek Atlantik v4 (80%w,100%b channels at peak). Although when it grows a bit more will transfer to sump.

35586EEC-F6EC-4436-85AB-23CA4020B633.jpeg
1E91CB1A-5F3B-41BB-95AB-1B778781D1E0.jpeg
E64CEC7F-10F1-4B6B-9698-70356AA822E2.jpeg
AC7F4105-E933-4A33-B60D-FAF22B41C97B.jpeg
15A979BC-C50D-40F3-83C9-9478538E36CE.jpeg

"Although when it grows a bit more will transfer to sump''

Why to the sump ?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Huff747 and @wjgeese ,
Kidding aside, Here are fragments of the very first thread I discussed PMD in 2002 on Reefs.org. This board is not functional anymore. Just fragments of this discussion survived. This topic was discussed at reefland.com, reefs.org and ReefCentral.com back in 2002. I struggle with this disease in 2000-2002 before I came up with the cure for it. It decimated my clams but I did eradicated it from my systems, and was able to save about 1/3 of my clams

Reefs.org only part of the thread can be pull up as of 12/21/2019. I am not sure how long this can be done. First ever mention of PMD and how to treat it on line. A lot of the discussion did not survide:

One of the threads I participated in and advise people regarding PMD on ReefCentral.com in 2002. There were several. This particular one was after the disease was named:

Thread on reefland.com. This thread did not survive.

This is the write up I did for reef2reef.com on PMD and treatment.

wjgeese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Huff747 and @wjgeese ,
Kidding aside, Here are fragments of the very first thread I discussed PMD in 2002 on Reefs.org. This board is not functional anymore. Just fragments of this discussion survived. This topic was discussed at reefland.com, reefs.org and ReefCentral.com back in 2002. I struggle with this disease in 2000-2002 before I came up with the cure for it. It decimated my clams but I did eradicated it from my systems, and was able to save about 1/3 of my clams

Reefs.org only part of the thread can be pull up as of 12/21/2019. I am not sure how long this can be done. First ever mention of PMD and how to treat it on line. A lot of the discussion did not survide:

One of the threads I participated in and advise people regarding PMD on ReefCentral.com in 2002. There were several. This particular one was after the disease was named:

Thread on reefland.com. This thread did not survive.

This is the write up I did for reef2reef.com on PMD and treatment.
been in the hobby since 1989 and PMD and FWD was a thing well before 2002...just saying

DogsRule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been in the hobby since 1989 and PMD and FWD was a thing well before 2002...just saying
Started my 1st reef tank 1996 so a bit of a "newbie" compared to you, but never even heard of or ran into PM until around 2008/9. Maybe I got lucky with the clams I kept prior to 08/9, but back then I was advised to only do a 5-10 min FW dip & pull the clam if showing any stress (its in a FW dip & so yeah it looks stressed- go figure). Shame you didn't share your pre 2002 knowledge of PM- & sorry I didn't find OrionNs info back then. It would have saved me a lot of hassle & $$

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started my 1st reef tank 1996 so a bit of a "newbie" compared to you, but never even heard of or ran into PM until around 2008/9. Maybe I got lucky with the clams I kept prior to 08/9, but back then I was advised to only do a 5-10 min FW dip & pull the clam if showing any stress (its in a FW dip & so yeah it looks stressed- go figure). Shame you didn't share your pre 2002 knowledge of PM- & sorry I didn't find OrionNs info back then. It would have saved me a lot of hassle & $$
Perkinsus was around a long time but I'm not sure who labeled it or came up with the treatment. If it was Orion than awesome. One thing I will say is that the gigas grow out is a serious one and congrats to all who get to own one of these. Keep the pics coming!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt this very much. I have been in the hobby since 1980. There are no internet and no exchange of information until the internet came about. In the early internet there are only mailing list with no pictures. Reef central and reefs.org was two of the first boards. I was there when they first started. There was no mention of PMD until I mentioned it in 2002. As far as I know, Dick Perrin FWD his clams but nobody else did it. Dick FWD his clams but not as treatment for PMD. Daniel Knop book on Giant Clams have a section on disease and treatment. It was the Bible on Clams at the time. It did not mention PMD or FWD.

wjgeese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt this very much. I have been in the hobby since 1980. There are no internet and no exchange of information until the internet came about. In the early internet there are only mailing list with no pictures. Reef central and reefs.org was two of the first boards. I was there when they first started. There was no mention of PMD until I mentioned it in 2002. As far as I know, Dick Perrin FWD his clams but nobody else did it. Dick FWD his clams but not as treatment for PMD. Daniel Knop book on Giant Clams have a section on disease and treatment. It was the Bible on Clams at the time. It did not mention PMD or FWD.
lol...the wau island clam farm in the marshall islands discovered fwd in the 90s...I am friends with someone who worked there at the time...your name never came up
sorry to burst your bubble...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back