Gilroy 425g Build Thread (All Apex, all the time)

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick Question:

Did you reverse the ORP probe for the readings to work?
No, I actually plugged it (ORP probe) into the second port on the Apex and set it for pH. Then, every one unit of pH over 7.0 is -58mv, every 1 unit below 7 is 58mv. So, I shoot for about 10 on the pH scale which is about -174. I still tweaking like crazy on the denitrator - trying to figure it out.

I will likely switch the wires though so the numbers just make more sense on the screen and I don't keep confusing them as I scan the dashboard and scare myself when I see 9.1 on a tile!

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are growing like crazy since I moved the lights up. Everything is SO much happier on the SPS side of the tank. On the LPS side of the tank it is a little different story since I put them on there last week. I think that the lighting might be to strong for those corals. The duncans are not happy for sure. Some of the others seem to not mind. I will have to watch it closely. It could just be the adjustment of changing from the other lighting to these LED.

This is one of the small tradeoffs with these lights. Since the control is done through an external controller (and the lights themselves do not have individual 0-10V control) all the lights on one controller must do the same exact thing. This certainly makes it easier for users, but for my situation, if I need say 10% less light on that LPS side (or want to even up the light on my SPS side) I cannot do that without purchasing another Philips light controller box. This is not the biggest deal breaker ever, but I would rather have 2- channels of 0-10V control on each light - and then if I wanted to run them all the same, just connect them all in parallel.

We will see how things go over the next few weeks on that LPS side and then decide if I need to get another controller box.

But overall, LOVING these Philips CoralCare lights so far!

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, like a cobbler whose children have no shoes, I finally got around to installing our upcoming ATO solution (The ATK) into my tank. I did not install a new FMM though as my existing one had two free ports (I am only monitoring flow on the return pump and RO feed line at the moment).

I also used a solenoid valve so that I could have it feed directly from my RODI. I have a two stage solenoid setup on the RODI. One on the input to the RODI, and then one on the output going to sump. This allows me to also automate filling my containers depending on which solenoids are on.

The secondary optical sensor and the float valve are for the 2nd and 3rd disaster stage prevention. The thumbscrew is not necessary unless you are not using the float valve - in that case it is for securing the tubing. I forgot to take it off when I installed it. :O

upload_2017-4-30_18-45-14.png

upload_2017-4-30_18-45-32.png

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, like a cobbler whose children have no shoes, I finally got around to installing our upcoming ATO solution (The ATK) into my tank. I did not install a new FMM though as my existing one had two free ports (I am only monitoring flow on the return pump and RO feed line at the moment).

I also used a solenoid valve so that I could have it feed directly from my RODI. I have a two stage solenoid setup on the RODI. One on the input to the RODI, and then one on the output going to sump. This allows me to also automate filling my containers depending on which solenoids are on.

The secondary optical sensor and the float valve are for the 2nd and 3rd disaster stage prevention. The thumbscrew is not necessary unless you are not using the float valve - in that case it is for securing the tubing. I forgot to take it off when I installed it. :O

upload_2017-4-30_18-45-14.png

upload_2017-4-30_18-45-32.png

Is this available yet? I'm ready to ditch my tunze for it haha

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait I've been waiting for this even have the money set aside to pre order. It only takes up two spaces correct so I can buy two water sensors with it?

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait I've been waiting for this even have the money set aside to pre order. It only takes up two spaces correct so I can buy two water sensors with it?
Yes, you will be able to buy the ATK and then add two other options to it as you see fit - optical sensors, leak detection probes, flow sensors - mix and match.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized today I need to pay someone to come and clean up all my wiring, mount things more properly, route tubing properly, etc. I am just not good at that stuff. If anyone in the bay area wants to take this on, maybe we can barter something...

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized today I need to pay someone to come and clean up all my wiring, mount things more properly, route tubing properly, etc. I am just not good at that stuff. If anyone in the bay area wants to take this on, maybe we can barter something...
You mean it's not supposed to look like a bowl of spaghetti? No matter how hard I try to organize my wiring, it always seems to end up that way.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flying home from a conference - checking in on my tank at 36000 feet. Love this! All looking good. Can't wait to get home, scrape the glass, and see what has been really growing!

upload_2017-5-11_11-34-29.png

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Terrance I looked online but couldn't find an answer
Does the fluid monitoring sensor have the capability of being part of the Flo tile like the wavs do?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back