Glue masters strength and curing time

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m using the below Glue on my Dry Rock with Pulverized Dry Rock, with no Accelerant. I glued some together week ago Sunday, yesterday it still seemed to be off gassing.** How long should I wait to place in Aquarium?​

Super Glue by GLUE MASTERS - Extra Large 8 OZ (226-gram) Bottle Medium Viscosity Adhesive.​

** I got sick, from an Antibiotic, haven’t been able to do much this week. One of the side effects seems to be a super heightened sense of smell, so it maybe just me.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m using the below Glue on my Dry Rock with Pulverized Dry Rock, with no Accelerant. I glued some together week ago Sunday, yesterday it still seemed to be off gassing.** How long should I wait to place in Aquarium?​

Super Glue by GLUE MASTERS - Extra Large 8 OZ (226-gram) Bottle Medium Viscosity Adhesive.​

** I got sick, from an Antibiotic, haven’t been able to do much this week. One of the side effects seems to be a super heightened sense of smell, so it maybe just me.
Don't worry about off-gassing. CA glue is reef safe immediately and can be applied underwater before curing.

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished gluing together my aquascape and I just used cheap thin super glue and baking soda. It is plenty strong enough. Each piece is around 25 lbs and I can pick them up from any piece and it didn’t break apart. I also started throwing some rock dust on the joints to hide the white baking soda.
2510FCF6-D59E-47BF-858C-ED9A3E50248D.jpeg

With baking soda or rock dust it sets nearly instantly. I was going to use gluemasters since I have only heard good things about it, but I was too impatient to wait on shipping so I just used the cheapest glue I could find locally.
This is a super old post but if anyone else knows what glue you can use in place of glue masters thin super glue? All my rock is done tonight and I don’t really want to wait for the glue to ship. Anything that is close to it I can get locally?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a super old post but if anyone else knows what glue you can use in place of glue masters thin super glue? All my rock is done tonight and I don’t really want to wait for the glue to ship. Anything that is close to it I can get locally?
I just bought the cheapest thin glue that I could get locally, which for me was from Harbor Freight. You can use the thin superglue from a dollar store and it’ll work.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gtinnel @twentyleagues I dont have a efficient way to break rock down to dust. what did you guys use? Becuase you are to spray glue all over the join throw the rock dust then more glue and more dust at it correct?
I started off using baking soda. I would hold each rock where I wanted it on the main structure and sprinkle baking soda into the joint. Then drop superglue in the joint until it was absorbed into the baking soda. It only takes a few seconds to set and makes a strong bond. The downside is that with the baking soda it makes a bright white seam that is quite obvious. After I had enough rock busted up that I had a pile of dust I started using the rock dust and it blends in much better. If you start busting rocks into smaller pieces with a chisel it doesn’t take long before you have a pile of dust, or you can use baking soda, or you can buy rock dust.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you have the powder on your hands make sure not to get glue on your hands. It gets really hot while reacting.

I learned that lesson the hard way, lol.

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started off using baking soda. I would hold each rock where I wanted it on the main structure and sprinkle baking soda into the joint. Then drop superglue in the joint until it was absorbed into the baking soda. It only takes a few seconds to set and makes a strong bond. The downside is that with the baking soda it makes a bright white seam that is quite obvious. After I had enough rock busted up that I had a pile of dust I started using the rock dust and it blends in much better. If you start busting rocks into smaller pieces with a chisel it doesn’t take long before you have a pile of dust, or you can use baking soda, or you can buy rock dust.
Ahh I see, well I have alot of bigger rocks that I am going to break up cuz they are like 4 footballs so I will just have to lay down some plastic or something to catch the dust.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh I see, well I have alot of bigger rocks that I am going to break up cuz they are like 4 footballs so I will just have to lay down some plastic or something to catch the dust.
I built mine on a plywood and 2x4 frame that I had made to move the tank into the house so it didn’t have to be carried. I built the aquascape outside because there will end up being dust all over the work area.
FEFD9F44-F317-48F6-96F4-E8A06E5B98C0.jpeg

Here you can see some of the joints with baking soda and how bright white they are compared to the rock.
108E1453-DCDF-47B3-A694-1E6FFB4F78E2.jpeg

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a bottle of the marco dust when I got my rock so I didnt have to worry about it. Now after breaking up my rock I still have 3/4 of the bottle.

Back