Glue use underwater...?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Malifry97
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 7, 2019
Messages
2,015
Reaction score
2,039
Location
Duncannon,PA
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some cyanoacrylate glue that I want to use to glue some corals. Can I use the glue when it hasn’t cured the recommended 24 hours underwater with fish in the tank. Is it poisonous when not cured for 24 hours. If it is then how to I glue my corals down. Does the glue even have to be cured? It is fine so long as it’s dry to the touch?
 
It's fine underwater, not toxic,. I squirt some on a disposable plastic knife, use it to smear on a little patch to prime the spot where I want to glue a frag, put a spot on the frag, hold it up against the primed spot you made on your rock work, wiggle it back and forth until it firms up and you are good to go.
 
It's fine underwater, not toxic,. I squirt some on a disposable plastic knife, use it to smear on a little patch to prime the spot where I want to glue a frag, put a spot on the frag, hold it up against the primed spot you made on your rock work, wiggle it back and forth until it firms up and you are good to go.
Ok thanks.
 
@KrisReef what does the thumbs up mean?
It means that I spilled glue all over my computer and it locked up before I could reply.

I use superglue gel (cyano acrylic stuff) underwater when I have to and it works ok. If I take the rocks out and use the glue out of the tank it holds frags nicely also. If you use a lot of glue to stick frags underwater you might have fish that swim in and take a bite of the wet glue. So far most peoples fish don't glue their mouths together but there have been reports of near misses of this type.
 
Good advice above. As long as it is cyanoacrylate, you should be good to go.

This is what I use;
20191016_164243.jpg
 
It means that I spilled glue all over my computer and it locked up before I could reply.

I use superglue gel (cyano acrylic stuff) underwater when I have to and it works ok. If I take the rocks out and use the glue out of the tank it holds frags nicely also. If you use a lot of glue to stick frags underwater you might have fish that swim in and take a bite of the wet glue. So far most peoples fish don't glue their mouths together but there have been reports of near misses of this type.
Oh ok thanks
 
I use the gorilla super glue gel too. I have never had any issues with it. No issues with tank or fish. Just try not to get water into the bottle if doing it under water. I usually just do it out of water and put frag in the tank after. The saltwater helps the curing process.
 
I use the gorilla super glue gel too. I have never had any issues with it. No issues with tank or fish. Just try not to get water into the bottle if doing it under water. I usually just do it out of water and put frag in the tank after. The saltwater helps the curing process.
Ok thanks. It’s not the gel it’s just the gorilla super glue. It is still cyanoacrylate though.
 
Ok thanks. It’s not the gel it’s just the gorilla super glue. It is still cyanoacrylate though.

Use the gel. You won't regret it. It's thicker and sets up faster.
 
Just FYI, Do not buy the coralife stuff. It says sets in water. And I am the pilot of the first Space-x flight. I can say it never set for me. You’d think blues glue. How can you mess up using glue? Even I couldn’t do thar
 
The gel is wayyyy better to use, I would use gel for sure. With some practice with it you will be glueing corals like a pro. Be prepared for a little on your hands too.
Ok. Is there any adverse affects not using the gel and using the other stuff?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new