Glue use underwater...?

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some cyanoacrylate glue that I want to use to glue some corals. Can I use the glue when it hasn’t cured the recommended 24 hours underwater with fish in the tank. Is it poisonous when not cured for 24 hours. If it is then how to I glue my corals down. Does the glue even have to be cured? It is fine so long as it’s dry to the touch?

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fine underwater, not toxic,. I squirt some on a disposable plastic knife, use it to smear on a little patch to prime the spot where I want to glue a frag, put a spot on the frag, hold it up against the primed spot you made on your rock work, wiggle it back and forth until it firms up and you are good to go.

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fine underwater, not toxic,. I squirt some on a disposable plastic knife, use it to smear on a little patch to prime the spot where I want to glue a frag, put a spot on the frag, hold it up against the primed spot you made on your rock work, wiggle it back and forth until it firms up and you are good to go.
Ok thanks.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KrisReef what does the thumbs up mean?
It means that I spilled glue all over my computer and it locked up before I could reply.

I use superglue gel (cyano acrylic stuff) underwater when I have to and it works ok. If I take the rocks out and use the glue out of the tank it holds frags nicely also. If you use a lot of glue to stick frags underwater you might have fish that swim in and take a bite of the wet glue. So far most peoples fish don't glue their mouths together but there have been reports of near misses of this type.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice above. As long as it is cyanoacrylate, you should be good to go.

This is what I use;
20191016_164243.jpg

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It means that I spilled glue all over my computer and it locked up before I could reply.

I use superglue gel (cyano acrylic stuff) underwater when I have to and it works ok. If I take the rocks out and use the glue out of the tank it holds frags nicely also. If you use a lot of glue to stick frags underwater you might have fish that swim in and take a bite of the wet glue. So far most peoples fish don't glue their mouths together but there have been reports of near misses of this type.
Oh ok thanks

K95ranger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the gorilla super glue gel too. I have never had any issues with it. No issues with tank or fish. Just try not to get water into the bottle if doing it under water. I usually just do it out of water and put frag in the tank after. The saltwater helps the curing process.

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the gorilla super glue gel too. I have never had any issues with it. No issues with tank or fish. Just try not to get water into the bottle if doing it under water. I usually just do it out of water and put frag in the tank after. The saltwater helps the curing process.
Ok thanks. It’s not the gel it’s just the gorilla super glue. It is still cyanoacrylate though.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI, Do not buy the coralife stuff. It says sets in water. And I am the pilot of the first Space-x flight. I can say it never set for me. You’d think blues glue. How can you mess up using glue? Even I couldn’t do thar

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back