Glued pipe in bulkhead

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have to cut it. I've already had to cut mine once to move the tank to another room. No big deal. The PVC pipe cutters make it so much easier. Takes 5 seconds using them.

20190921_124020.jpg 20190921_223558.jpg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

May be worth a try. If this really works it could be especially handy in an emergency so you can reuse the fitting.

I didn't see any primer or glue on the valve or pipe in reef bums video, though in theory, heating the plastic could allow it to release.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see any primer or glue on the valve or pipe in reef bums video, though in theory, heating the plastic could allow it to release.
I thought that about the glue (or lack of) also...may have to try this out for the sake of science lol

John Robbins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once cemented, PVC cannot be unglued and reused. The cement creates a chemical weld that essentially combines the two cemented parts into one part on a molecular level. When you do remove and re-plumb, you could put a threaded union in the pipe below the bulkhead a few inches so that in the future you can disconnect it if you need to. Don't cement the pvc inside the overflow box so that it can be removed easily in the future too if needed. This arrangement will allow you to essentially remove and be able to reinstall all the pvc from the threaded union up or down as smaller assemblies if you need to.
Cheers!

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Once cemented, PVC cannot be unglued and reused. The cement creates a chemical weld that essentially combines the two cemented parts into one part on a molecular level. When you do remove and re-plumb, you could put a threaded union in the pipe below the bulkhead a few inches so that in the future you can disconnect it if you need to. Don't cement the pvc inside the overflow box so that it can be removed easily in the future too if needed. This arrangement will allow you to essentially remove and be able to reinstall all the pvc from the threaded union up or down as smaller assemblies if you need to.
Cheers!
I thought so, too but over the past few weeks watched an installer from Iwaki remove glued in pipes from bulkhead fittings with a heat gun and needle nose vise grips while replumbing our aquatics facility. He gave the bulkhead surfaces a light sanding after removing the pipe and used them again with no issues. He did say to that you need to use primer when regluing these fittings. Obviously it is not worth the trouble for bulkheads that cost a couple of dollars each but he said these 2' and 3" bulkheads were pricey enough to make it worth his while.

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried using a heat gun on mine first and the pipe just turned all rubbery and stretched apart. I was able to cut with enough room to reuse my gate and union ball valves or I probably would have tried a little harder, ha.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get it out but why. Cut it off better stronger faster

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched him do one - it took about 7 minutes from start to finish. I don't really see how this saved any money, but he felt like it was a good tradeoff in time vs savings.

John Robbins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

I thought so, too but over the past few weeks watched an installer from Iwaki remove glued in pipes from bulkhead fittings with a heat gun and needle nose vise grips while replumbing our aquatics facility. He gave the bulkhead surfaces a light sanding after removing the pipe and used them again with no issues. He did say to that you need to use primer when regluing these fittings. Obviously it is not worth the trouble for bulkheads that cost a couple of dollars each but he said these 2' and 3" bulkheads were pricey enough to make it worth his while.
This sounds like a case of could vs should.
It was worth his while to do it that way, but was it worth yours? The cost of water damage from a leak is potentially much greater than the cost of new bulkheads.

John Robbins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried using a heat gun on mine first and the pipe just turned all rubbery and stretched apart. I was able to cut with enough room to reuse my gate and union ball valves or I probably would have tried a little harder, ha.
It sounds like you have discovered the merits in leaving extra space between plumbing part connections whenever its practical to do so. Ive cut plumbing countless times on different jobs over the years and have always appreciated when a simple coupler would allow me to reuse the same expensive gate valve or avoid having to rebuild an entire plumbing assemby.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s pretty cool. Will keep it in mind.

Good 1 1/2” gate valves are over $50 each. I could see why one would want to try it if proper future prep wasn’t considered off the get go.

Thanks for sharing!

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I finally found the product I was looking for. It drills out the PVC pipe from the fitting.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just cut it and add a union so you can take apart again in the future.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like a case of could vs should.
It was worth his while to do it that way, but was it worth yours? The cost of water damage from a leak is potentially much greater than the cost of new bulkheads.
Perhaps so, but the bulkhead was surprisingly smooth surfaced after the pipe was removed. This is going in a dedicated aquatics facility at work with epoxy-coated floor and floor drains so I am not as concerned about the possibility of leaks as if it were in my living room. So far no leaks...

John Robbins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps so, but the bulkhead was surprisingly smooth surfaced after the pipe was removed. This is going in a dedicated aquatics facility at work with epoxy-coated floor and floor drains so I am not as concerned about the possibility of leaks as if it were in my living room. So far no leaks...
oh sweet sweet floor drains. Those are so great to have.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back