Gobie compatibility

brad shawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I’m somewhat new to the forum I been posting quite a bit. Have a build thread going. My tank is not set up 100 percent aquascape is done. Sand is almost all in. But I like to think plan ahead and was trying to work out a stock list. So far all I know is my fiance wants a yellow watchman goby with a pistol shrimp. I was quite intrigued by a orange spot blenny. I want to keep a mixed reef that’s peaceful if at all possible. If possible the blenny will be added down the road when the tank matures. Also thinking of a jawfish most likely a yellow head jawfish. Now I know that not every one pice has the same temperament I’ve kept and bred tangynikan cichlids for quite a while. If these 3 fish are compatible I don’t know so I’m reaching out to you guys. The tank is a 36” x 20”. Thanks in advance and happy Sunday!

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those 3 fish should be fine together in that size tank. The blenny occupies a very different niche than the other two and will likely be the most aggressive and should be added later. The jawfish will be the most peaceful. The goby should only bother other fish if they get too close to its cave.

Edit - check out this thread from nano reef:
https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/348688-are-blennies-reef-safe/

There’s a post where someone talks about an orange spot bullying a jawfish, so something to consider. A tailspot blenny is probably more peaceful. Combtooth blennies do sometimes nip or even eat fleshy lps, I had a pictus that ate my acan...

Last edited:

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime I’m interested in a fish, the first thing I do is look it up on LiveAquaria.com and read the description. It’s a good point of reference. There’s also a compatibility chart somewhere on this forum, though I don’t recall where offhand.

OP
OP
brad shawn

brad shawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those 3 fish should be fine together in that size tank. The blenny occupies a very different niche than the other two and will likely be the most aggressive and should be added later. The jawfish will be the most peaceful. The goby should only bother other fish if they get too close to its cave.
Thank you for the quick response. She will be thrilled ! I’m only a few weeks in with the reef world

OP
OP
brad shawn

brad shawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime I’m interested in a fish, the first thing I do is look it up on LiveAquaria.com and read the description. It’s a good point of reference. There’s also a compatibility chart somewhere on this forum, though I don’t recall where offhand.
Yes I have been checking them out it’s easy for reference I seen their compatibility chart. Bit to be honest I trust real world experience over a chart. It’s too generic. Yes a lot of fish are compatible in a 8 foot system. You know what I’m saying

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have been checking them out it’s easy for reference I seen their compatibility chart. Bit to be honest I trust real world experience over a chart. It’s too generic. Yes a lot of fish are compatible in a 8 foot system. You know what I’m saying
Yes, In my rooky-ness I put a lot of fish together that aren’t supposed to be compatible and they did just fine. That doesn’t mean it will work for the next guy or with the next fish. The charts are a good fail safe way to be sure though.

OP
OP
brad shawn

brad shawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pleasure but take a look at the thread I mention in my edit. All to say that it may present issues for you, but it may be ok
I’ll check it definitely. I understand that no one fish of the same species will have the same temperament isnt that Funny. But I like to hear from people who have had experience first hand it gives me a starting point at least.

OP
OP
brad shawn

brad shawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, In my rooky-ness I put a lot of fish together that aren’t supposed to be compatible and they did just fine. That doesn’t mean it will work for the next guy or with the next fish. The charts are a good fail safe way to be sure though.
I agree it’s good for the noob. At least people have a chance at success and not throw things at the system willynilly. I hate doing that. All my setups in the past have all been well thought out. Mostly species only tanks or tanks with 2 species at most that inhabit different zones in a particular biotope . This will be my first salt and my first mixed tank so it’s different for me. a lot different.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 120 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 97 34.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back