OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know. Itd be a shame to put such an animal down. Ive never done that :( Try and feed it by waving food in front of it. I would just QT the fish for some time and if i doesnt get better, maybe :(

thanks man, ill keep looking into this. If it starves from not being able to eat, i might have to

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just try and medicate it

Hey just an update but his eyes are now swollen and whiter than ever. His face is all white and so is his tail. Hes struggling to breath. He looks like hes suffering a lot and the melafix hasnt done anything. The Prazi pro is coming tomorrow but im not sure if hell make it by then. Should I help him pass or wait for the prazi pro?

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey just an update but his eyes are now swollen and whiter than ever. His face is all white and so is his tail. Hes struggling to breath. He looks like hes suffering a lot and the melafix hasnt done anything. The Prazi pro is coming tomorrow but im not sure if hell make it by then. Should I help him pass or wait for the prazi pro?
I personally would wait for the PraziPro to come and dose immediatly, but if it gets worse than it already is then definetly help the fishy pass... :( Im sorry bro this must be real tuff

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you said that you already used prazipro. If you're 100% certain that there was nothing in the FW dip after it was completed for the full 5 minutes, there were no flukes anyway and prazipro won't do anything. Now if you didn't do the full 5 min FW dip or maybe didn't look close enough, you might have missed them. I would do the prazipro, as its a very safe med, but realistically from the new symptoms, it sounds bacterial. You need a broad-spectrum antibiotic, such as furan-2 or kanaplex. Try to see if any lfs carries it. Furan-2 especially should be easy to find at a petco or petsmart. Now if you can't find the antibiotics, you might need to look into humane euthanasia methods.

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would wait for the PraziPro to come and dose immediatly, but if it gets worse than it already is then definetly help the fishy pass... :( Im sorry bro this must be real tuff
I agree that euthanasia is realistically the best option if OP can't get meds quickly. The problem is that this fish is already likely blind, and will stave even if treated. Hopefully, the fish will pull through.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you said that you already used prazipro. If you're 100% certain that there was nothing in the FW dip after it was completed for the full 5 minutes, there were no flukes anyway and prazipro won't do anything. Now if you didn't do the full 5 min FW dip or maybe didn't look close enough, you might have missed them. I would do the prazipro, as its a very safe med, but realistically from the new symptoms, it sounds bacterial. You need a broad-spectrum antibiotic, such as furan-2 or kanaplex. Try to see if any lfs carries it. Furan-2 especially should be easy to find at a petco or petsmart. Now if you can't find the antibiotics, you might need to look into humane euthanasia methods.

Okay, Ill head to the store later today. Thank you.

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your fish I hope he makes it. And also when you a FW dip make pH is the same as tank water. Good luck again I hope he pulls through !!

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, Ill head to the store later today. Thank you.
Good luck man. Don't beat yourself up if he doesn't make it, this kind of thing is difficult to treat. Furan-2 and prazi can be used together, so you can add both if you still suspect eye flukes.

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get the erythromycin, its probably a little better than furan-2, but both should work if you can get them.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get the erythromycin, its probably a little better than furan-2, but both should work if you can get them.

I was just about to head to the store and I think he had a seizure and died. The area behind is head is black and his head and tail are white. RIP Thanks for all you help though

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just about to head to the store and I think he had a seizure and died. The area behind is head is black and his head and tail are white. RIP Thanks for all you help though
I'm very sorry. RIP. Hopefully this doesn't happen again. I would consider treating the tank with the antibiotics just to prevent a further outbreak, but that's up to you.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very sorry. RIP. Hopefully this doesn't happen again. I would consider treating the tank with the antibiotics just to prevent a further outbreak, but that's up to you.

Hey again, I dosed some prazi pro in the tank about half a dosage just to get an idea of it and to kill off anything from the goby. My xenia shriveled up right away and it was really healthy. Is it fine?

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey again, I dosed some prazi pro in the tank about half a dosage just to get an idea of it and to kill off anything from the goby. My xenia shriveled up right away and it was really healthy. Is it fine?
I wouldnt know to much about this? Is it only the xenia that curled up? It may just be temprarily stressed or shocked from the prazi pro, it should get better. Good luck dude

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt know to much about this? Is it only the xenia that curled up? It may just be temprarily stressed or shocked from the prazi pro, it should get better. Good luck dude

Yea, all the other curls are fine and the xenia is opening up very slowly.

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that that's supposed to happen. Prazi should only kill tube worms/feather dusters, but I suppose xenia kinda look like feather dusters lol. Good to hear that its opening up, and good luck!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back