Goby has swollen eyes and has pale splotches

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, its gonna be harder than ever to get him out now. It was already a hassle to get him out for the dip. Hes in a corner full rock rubble and I dont want him to be crushed if I remove the loose rocks. Can this just be popeye? I dont think it is flukes because nothing came out on the dip
I'm by far no expert, so take this with a grain of salt, but I don't see how this would be flukes. I think popeye/cloudy eye is much more probable. I would treat with either Furan-2 or Kanaplex (or any other broad spectrum antibiotic) in a 5 gallon bucket if you don't have a tank. Dose prime/amquel every 48 hours to neutralize ammonia. Add a few pvc pipes for shelter.

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PraziPro Parasite Treatment - Hikari
BRS Top Selling Product
Hikari
PRAZIPRO PARASITE TREATMENT
100% Recommend this to a friend (3 of 3)
3 Reviews
Risk Free Returns
Earn Up To 5% SIGN-UP
1 OZ PRAZIPRO PARASITE TREATMENT
$4.59
SKU: 208123
IN STOCK: 95
Add to Cart
Add to Wishlist
16 OZ PRAZIPRO PARASITE TREATMENT
$45.99
SKU: 208124
IN STOCK: 23
Add to Cart
Add to Wishlist
Details
Treat and control unwanted parasites like flukes, tapeworms, flatworms, and turbellarians in your reef tank.

From brs

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would prazipro help? I thought that popeye was either from an injury or some kind of bacterial infection. Neither of those have to do with worms.

Dang, so i stressed the living crap out of him for nothing... Well I have melafix, do you have any experience with that? The reviews I've read are mixed but mostly good. I have prime as well and I tested for ammonia and its 0

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t dose prime but do daily 50 percent wc
Well if the fish was transferred to a qt without any filtration or live rock, ammonia would certainly be a problem. I assume the OP doesn't have any spare equipment/live rock laying around, so they would need to neutralize the ammonia. I suppose 50% water changes would help, but done incorrectly would stress the fish even more.

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if the fish was transferred to a qt without any filtration or live rock, ammonia would certainly be a problem. I assume the OP doesn't have any spare equipment/live rock laying around, so they would need to neutralize the ammonia. I suppose 50% water changes would help, but done incorrectly would stress the fish even more.

You’re probably right about that

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I found out the store is open today. I need some opinions. Would it be better to return it? Does lfs usually care for sick fish? If so, it is better off in their hands.

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS Top Selling Product
Hikari
PRAZIPRO PARASITE TREATMENT
100% Recommend this to a friend (3 of 3)
3 Reviews
Risk Free Returns
Earn Up To 5% SIGN-UP
1 OZ PRAZIPRO PARASITE TREATMENT
$4.59
SKU: 208123
IN STOCK: 95
Add to Cart
Add to Wishlist
16 OZ PRAZIPRO PARASITE TREATMENT
$45.99
SKU: 208124
IN STOCK: 23
Add to Cart
Add to Wishlist
Details
Treat and control unwanted parasites like flukes, tapeworms, flatworms, and turbellarians in your reef tank.

From brs
I know what prazipro does, but popeye isn't caused by any of those things. It has great reviews because its great at killing flukes, but not bacterial infections/

Eric1493

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, so i stressed the living **** out of him for nothing... Well I have melafix, do you have any experience with that? The reviews I've read are mixed but mostly good. I have prime as well and I tested for ammonia and its 0
If you only have melafix, then I would use it. Also (if you have it) dose Epsom salt to help with the eye swelling. I would also drain some water into a bucket with nothing in it to prevent further injury. If you can, maybe buy Furan-2, kanaplex or something along those lines.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wanted to save it get a qt tank, live rock, filter, and ask what medication they recommend

Yes I would very much like it to be saved but I was wondering if lfs usually takes care of sick fish.

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure about that but right now they are trying to make money selling anything and it would cost them more to medicate the fish.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back