Goby not eating

scooter24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months ago I got my yellow watchmen goby along with two small clowns and 2 fire fish from Dr reef. All is great and all ate very well and still eat well except for the goby. The past week I haven't seen him eat anything. Normally I spot feed him and he eats no problem. I went away for a few days (had my mom feed them for me) and when I come back he just won't eat. I'm feeding rods food and pellets for the clowns and fire fish since they take that easier than rods. And the past few days it seems like he is staying out of his hole way more than normal and is staying by the glass. Any input would be great, thanks. Also I know I have some cyano currently adding more flow to the tank to help try and get rid of it.

Attachments

• 20211128_185341.mp4
    69.2 MB

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add anything new to your tank recently? What are your water parameters?

OP
OP
scooter24

scooter24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add anything new to your tank recently? What are your water parameters?
Nope, nothing new to the tank since they have been in the tank, the tank has been up for over a year and not once have I seen ammonia over 0. I do 25% waterchange every week in this 20g nuvo. I didnt test ammonia, nitrite or nitrate last water change as I forgot to but I wasn't concerned as they have never been out of range (I know things can change. I'm checking tmrw when I do a waterchange.)

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any labored breathing? Sometimes fish get constipated to and can't eat for a few days until their digestive track clears.

OP
OP
scooter24

scooter24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any labored breathing? Sometimes fish get constipated to and can't eat for a few days until their digestive track clears.
Idk if I'd consider it labored breathing or but in the vid is pretty much how he has been the past week. I have been looking the past week to see if he was breathing weird and idk if I'd consider what's in the video labored or not.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on it. Check water parameters as they can shift quickly in small aquariums.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your mother notice anything wrong with him while you were away? Was he eating then? As mentioned you better check parameters including salinity. You say they have been fine for you but you were gone for a few days so something might've changed during the period your mother was minding the tank for you. Make sure you test before you do your water change.

OP
OP
scooter24

scooter24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your mother notice anything wrong with him while you were away? Was he eating then? As mentioned you better check parameters including salinity. You say they have been fine for you but you were gone for a few days so something might've changed during the period your mother was minding the tank for you. Make sure you test before you do your water change.

My mom didn't notice anything odd, she called me eveytime she fed them and she always said that he was eating. I just tested my water before I get ready for the water change and my levels are
Ammonia-0ppm red sea test kit
Nitrite- 0ppb hannah checker
Nitrate- I'm guessing around 6ppm nyos test kit.
The nyos goes from 5 right to 12and it qas just a tad darker than 5 so I'm guessing 6ppm.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mom didn't notice anything odd, she called me eveytime she fed them and she always said that he was eating. I just tested my water before I get ready for the water change and my levels are
Ammonia-0ppm red sea test kit
Nitrite- 0ppb hannah checker
Nitrate- I'm guessing around 6ppm nyos test kit.
The nyos goes from 5 right to 12and it qas just a tad darker than 5 so I'm guessing 6ppm.
Those parameters all look good. Are your salinity and ph good as well? Also, are there still no signs of spots or other oddities on him? Do you know if the goby was a juvenile or adult when you It is possible it's getting to old age. I'm sorry to hear this is happening to your goby. Gobies are my favorite!

OP
OP
scooter24

scooter24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those parameters all look good. Are your salinity and ph good as well? Also, are there still no signs of spots or other oddities on him? Do you know if the goby was a juvenile or adult when you It is possible it's getting to old age. I'm sorry to hear this is happening to your goby. Gobies are my favorite!
Salinity is 1.026 via hannah salinity checker and it's always been accurate. I check it against a hydrometer and it's always within 1 specific gravity of each other. Ph is 7.74 according to apex I can never get it to stay at 8. He was pretty big when I received him. This is the second one i have ever had so idk if he would get bigger or if he is considered an adult or not

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is 1.026 via hannah salinity checker and it's always been accurate. I check it against a hydrometer and it's always within 1 specific gravity of each other. Ph is 7.74 according to apex I can never get it to stay at 8. He was pretty big when I received him. This is the second one i have ever had so idk if he would get bigger or if he is considered an adult or not
All of your parameters seem fine. If you're not seeing any issues on the skin, fins, gills and he's not scratching against rocks or having white stringy poo (a sign of internal parasites) then maybe you might want to try a different food to entice him. What are you feeding now? This might be age related. It's always Murphy's Law that something happens when we leave our tanks for a day or two.

Can you post another pic under white lights? A side pic will be good.

OP
OP
scooter24

scooter24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of your parameters seem fine. If you're not seeing any issues on the skin, fins, gills and he's not scratching against rocks or having white stringy poo (a sign of internal parasites) then maybe you might want to try a different food to entice him. What are you feeding now? This might be age related. It's always Murphy's Law that something happens when we leave our tanks for a day or two.

Can you post another pic under white lights? A side pic will be good.
I see nothing on him other than he looks skinny compared to before I left. I'm feeding rods frozen food and he would eat thatsbtuff up like crazy. Ignore the tank, im doing a water change it's all stirred up and I'm sucking cyano off the sand. Also the white spot on the one pic by his tail are actually spirorbid worms. Well thats whay I think they are call they are kinda growing like crazy for some reason. Hoping lack of flow is the cause and me increasing flow will help with them and my cyano.

Attachments

• 20211129_181700.jpg
    20211129_181700.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 20211129_180912.jpg
    20211129_180912.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 20211129_180750.jpg
    20211129_180750.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 65

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see nothing on him other than he looks skinny compared to before I left. I'm feeding rods frozen food and he would eat thatsbtuff up like crazy. Ignore the tank, im doing a water change it's all stirred up and I'm sucking cyano off the sand. Also the white spot on the one pic by his tail are actually spirorbid worms. Well thats whay I think they are call they are kinda growing like crazy for some reason. Hoping lack of flow is the cause and me increasing flow will help with them and my cyano.
Yes, you're right. He is looking a little thin. That's just cyano on his tail in the first pic right? Maybe a switch up of the frozen food is needed. I mix the food up but one they go crazy over is Omega One Super Carnivore frozen. It's a blend of mysis and bloodworms. They love the bloodworms. I periodically soak the food in Selcon.

@vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal do you see anything worrying in these photos?

OP
OP
scooter24

scooter24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you're right. He is looking a little thin. That's just cyano on his tail in the first pic right? Maybe a switch up of the frozen food is needed. I mix the food up but one they go crazy over is Omega One Super Carnivore frozen. It's a blend of mysis and bloodworms. They love the bloodworms. I periodically soak the food in Selcon.

@vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal do you see anything worrying in these photos?
Correct its just cyano/algae on the glass there is nothing on him. I might have some mysis in the back of the freezer. I'm going to go look.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The fact that there is so much cyano tells me the ammonia-nitrate-phos are elevated and a good tank cleaning will be first step. Thereafter, add carbon or chemipure blue to control those levels. IF YOURE USING API TEST KITS- YOU ARE LIKELY GETTING FALSE READINGS. See causes below and things to check
Diet- Inadequate.
Feed:

LRS Fish Frenzy
small plankton
krill
Hikari marine cuisine

Cyano is actually a combo of algae and bacteria giving it - its name. Cyano is a common photosynthetic organismfound in an array of colors such as green, purple and black. Like us human when we consume high levels of sugar, oyur waste begins to bloom - same happens in your tank when concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
So as for cause, some typical items are :

- Not Enough Air Bubbles: Typically, a protein skimmer fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate
- Too Much Reef Food: Overstocking / overfeeding your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Premature Live Rocks :Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which becomes a breeding ground for red slime algae
- Infrequent Water Changes: If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes will dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank clear
- Poor water Source: Using water source which contains nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out a welcome mat for cyano
- Slow running water will run Red: Inadequate water flow is one leading cause of cyano bloomsas slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for red slime algae development

START WITH TURNONG WHITE LIGHTS OFF OR REDUCE WHITE INTENSITY

OP
OP
scooter24

scooter24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that there is so much cyano tells me the ammonia-nitrate-phos are elevated and a good tank cleaning will be first step. Thereafter, add carbon or chemipure blue to control those levels. IF YOURE USING API TEST KITS- YOU ARE LIKELY GETTING FALSE READINGS. See causes below and things to check
Diet- Inadequate.
Feed:

LRS Fish Frenzy
small plankton
krill
Hikari marine cuisine

Cyano is actually a combo of algae and bacteria giving it - its name. Cyano is a common photosynthetic organismfound in an array of colors such as green, purple and black. Like us human when we consume high levels of sugar, oyur waste begins to bloom - same happens in your tank when concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.

- Not Enough Air Bubbles: Typically, a protein skimmer fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate
- Too Much Reef Food: Overstocking / overfeeding your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Premature Live Rocks :Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which becomes a breeding ground for red slime algae
- Infrequent Water Changes: If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes will dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank clear
- Poor water Source: Using water source which contains nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out a welcome mat for cyano
- Slow running water will run Red: Inadequate water flow is one leading cause of cyano bloomsas slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for red slime algae development

Ammonia is zero I used red sea test kit
Nitrite- 0ppb that's with a hannah checker
Nitrate is right at 6ppm with nyos test kit
I didnt test phosphate cuz I know it's high due to the cyano and little bit of algae. I've been doing water changes to try and help with it along with dosing vibrant.

OP
OP
scooter24

scooter24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diet- Inadequate.
Feed:

LRS Fish Frenzy
small plankton
krill
Hikari marine cuisine

My biggest issue with the cyano is lack of water flow I believe. I'm running a 20g nuvo with a DC mighty jet return pump. I have been having a issue with my mp10 so I don't think the return pump is giving me enough flow by itself. I'm going to get the mp10 to work until I can get the dry side replaced just so I can get more water movment. As far as water source I'm using a rodi setup with 150gph upgrade all my filters are good. I could also be over feeding a little but with my number (Ammonia, Nitrite and nitrate) adequate I feel I'm ok with my feeding?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My biggest issue with the cyano is lack of water flow I believe. I'm running a 20g nuvo with a DC mighty jet return pump. I have been having a issue with my mp10 so I don't think the return pump is giving me enough flow by itself. I'm going to get the mp10 to work until I can get the dry side replaced just so I can get more water movment. As far as water source I'm using a rodi setup with 150gph upgrade all my filters are good. I could also be over feeding a little but with my number (Ammonia, Nitrite and nitrate) adequate I feel I'm ok with my feeding?
Reduce feeding a few days. A little food is better than no food at all.
This is what I recommend for cyano battle

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 5-7 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the week, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think this is related to water quality. The goby is very thin, more than it should be if it just went off food recently. I think that even though it was eating up to recently, there was some malabsorption problem. The two common ones are internal worms or Mycobacterium. Neither can be resolved once a fish gets this thin - sorry.
Jay

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back