Goby vs feather duster

SaltwaterLiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a gold headed sleeper goby. I just got 4 feather dusters. My goby keeps moving them to his cave under a rock. Why is he doing this? Should i leave them there or move them? He takes all 4 of them to his cave! I don't want to damage them by continuing to move them out of the cave. Thanks for any advice !

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! I’m sure others will jump in soon to welcome you and to help with your question.

Upvote 0

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You’ve joined a great community with lots of friendly folks willing to help when needed. Someone will be along to answer your question soon.

Upvote 0

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a gold headed sleeper goby. I just got 4 feather dusters. My goby keeps moving them to his cave under a rock. Why is he doing this? Should i leave them there or move them? He takes all 4 of them to his cave! I don't want to damage them by continuing to move them out of the cave. Thanks for any advice !
Welcome!

Deferring to others on this behavior.

Upvote 0

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe some gobies like to decorate their den to make it more attractive to mates. How are you placing your feather dusters? I bury mine in the gravel or put them in deep crevasses in the rock. Can you put it somewhere to make it harder for him to move? Also how are they doing once he moves them? If they're still opening up and look healthy leaving them might not cause an issue

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My guess would be a supply of supplement food as duster is a filter feeder

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome47.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SaltwaterLiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe some gobies like to decorate their den to make it more attractive to mates. How are you placing your feather dusters? I bury mine in the gravel or put them in deep crevasses in the rock. Can you put it somewhere to make it harder for him to move? Also how are they doing once he moves them? If they're still opening up and look healthy leaving them might not cause an issue

Upvote 0

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. @SaltwaterLiz .... I feel your pain. I, too, have a sleeper goby. I will just tell you that they are incredibly stubborn and creatures of habit. We named ours Chernobyl because it is intent on picking up the sand and covering my rock like a nuclear winter. I fought with that fish for months... blowing off rock every day. I finally stopped fighting and waved the white flag of surrender and it met me in the middle. Literally..... instead of crop dusting my whole tank by dropping sand into the wavemakers.... yep, it did that.... it started building a sand mountain in the middle. So long as I leave the sand mountain alone, it leaves the rest of the tank alone. You can try moving those feather dusters to a different place. It may just be that it likes the sand wherever you keep putting them. Otherwise, you may just be in for a constant tug of war while it messes with you for sheer entertainment.
Good luck!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SaltwaterLiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. @SaltwaterLiz .... I feel your pain. I, too, have a sleeper goby. I will just tell you that they are incredibly stubborn and creatures of habit. We named ours Chernobyl because it is intent on picking up the sand and covering my rock like a nuclear winter. I fought with that fish for months... blowing off rock every day. I finally stopped fighting and waved the white flag of surrender and it met me in the middle. Literally..... instead of crop dusting my whole tank by dropping sand into the wavemakers.... yep, it did that.... it started building a sand mountain in the middle. So long as I leave the sand mountain alone, it leaves the rest of the tank alone. You can try moving those feather dusters to a different place. It may just be that it likes the sand wherever you keep putting them. Otherwise, you may just be in for a constant tug of war while it messes with you for sheer entertainment.
Good luck!!

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back