Going to be owning a snowflake eel, any help?

netrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

My brother and I are going to be new owners of a Snowflake Eel.

I've done some research into owning the eel, 35% water change per week, feeding live/frozen food, tank size [55gallon if correct], likes coral base/dark hiding spots, only keeping one eel in the tank, etc. etc.

I was wondering if i'd need a sump tank? or something like that. I know a good filter is needed for oxygen and and water testing kit.

Please let me know if theres anything else I should know or any tips I can learn from your wisdom!

Many Thanks!
Bren :)

Tiger Brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Bren and welcome to R2R. My college roommate had a snowflake eel in our dorm room so I have a little experience with them. I don’t see why you would need a sump especially if you plan to change that much water every week unless you want to use it as an extension of your tank to grow live food. Our eel did fine with frozen and freeze dried. Bottom line is they are extremely hardy and easy to keep, you have obviously done your homework as your setup sounds perfect for an eel. Best advice I have is to seal your tank tight, they will look for a way out and, sadly, that is how my roommate eventually lost his. Good luck.

Aari007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Bren and welcome to R2R. My college roommate had a snowflake eel in our dorm room so I have a little experience with them. I don’t see why you would need a sump especially if you plan to change that much water every week unless you want to use it as an extension of your tank to grow live food. Our eel did fine with frozen and freeze dried. Bottom line is they are extremely hardy and easy to keep, you have obviously done your homework as your setup sounds perfect for an eel. Best advice I have is to seal your tank tight, they will look for a way out and, sadly, that is how my roommate eventually lost his. Good luck.
+1
Also, don't have any other fish like gobies or jawfish that like to make caves. If he is a big eel, don't keep him with small fish.

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my 90 gallon reef. He is actually one of the only survivors, as my tank recently crashed completely due to a heater explosion. He is very cool and loves to eat from tongs. He doesn't really mess with any of my fish, and I have some smaller fish.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you have a lid of some sort. Eels love to carpet surf!

They generally will eat anything they can fit in their mouth and some things they can't. That being said, I had one in a 180 reef that was a model citizen.

OP
OP
N

netrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.

Thank you so much for all the helpful replies and warm welcoming!

Just a few more questions regarding the temperate if a heater is needed and I'm going to be looking more into tank conditions, P.H levels and all of that today.

Thankyou once again!
:)

OP
OP
N

netrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They tend to like water in the normal tropical range 72-78 degrees so you'll need a heater.
Perfect thankyou for your response! :) Quick Edit! DO you think a 50w heater will do the job? some saying it wil others say will only work for a 10-30l tank?

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

netrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankyou so much for your comments, I'll be sure to get some clamps for the lid! :)

OP
OP
N

netrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1
Also, don't have any other fish like gobies or jawfish that like to make caves. If he is a big eel, don't keep him with small fish.
Thankyou! I have a few smaller fish n other tanks so I'll be sure not to mix them :)

Tiger Brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect thankyou for your response! :) Quick Edit! DO you think a 50w heater will do the job? some saying it wil others say will only work for a 10-30l tank?

Heater size can vary depending upon the ambient air temperature in the tank room, but my opinion is that 50W is way too small for a 55. I use a 250 W heater in mine, yes it is oversized, but it keeps the tank temperature rock steady and doesn't have to work hard to do so.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back