Golden Dwarf Not Eating...

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,
So I have an established Golden Dwarf Moray Eel.
Have had him for 2 years, Eating approx twice a week a frozen silverside. All of a sudden he is refusing food and won’t come out to eat. Usually when my feeding stick hit the water he would go nuts. Usually would grab food within 30 seconds if not sooner.... any thoughts on what to try??? I’ve tried big pieces of shrimp, squid to no avail...

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes they go on hunger strikes. And this is common for most eels. They may go for a bit without eating. You could try soaking the food in with regular fish food or add garlic.
Have you changed anything in your system lately? Re aquascaped? How are your water parameters? Big PH swings?
I’ll be honest though, in my experience my eels have never returned to eating once this happened. I’ve had two Golden’s and a Snowflake. Each passed at approximately 2 year mark. I fed a variety of foods. If they popped out during the tank feeding, they got fed. Things would be great until one day. I recently lost my snowflake to a hunger strike, or what ever caused the strike.

Jacky Siu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Owner of two dwarfs, Dont worry too much, they can go on without food for sometime, keep trying but dont worry. He will eat eventually

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Try prawns, and squid they should be feed a variety diet. They do go on hunger strikes for a month or two.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meet LARRY!

IMG_1993-1.jpg

OP
OP
DarthSimon

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Guys!!! It's been a good 4-5 weeks now. I haven't changed anything. Tank parameters are stable and solid. My Dwarf has his own space in the rock work, and hasn't moved. What gets me is that he was a great eater. One silverside, twice a week on a feeding stick did the trick. He would come out and rip the food off the stick within 30 seconds aggressively. I will try some other foods this week.

OP
OP
DarthSimon

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some great news!!! It has to be 7 weeks now he hasn’t eaten. This morning I fed my fish and the GD started to go nuts. Came out of his hole and started shaking his head around. I quickly ran and got him a silverside and he took it!!!! Thank god... my boy is eating!!!

rlman41299

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my dwarf he went on hunger strike for 8 weeks and wondered where he gets his food since he refuses to eat the ones I give him. one night I saw him scavenging food and is eating uneaten leftovers. After that I tried feeding fresh scallops and he started eating but eventually died after a few weeks. I miss that little bugger.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back