Golden Trevally care?

LuciferM.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got two baby golden trevally today and I’m unsure what exactly what they eat.I want to give them a varied diet so I’m wondering what I should feed them,they’re eating live brine shrimp with the other fish in the community tank.They are 1/2 an inch large,they are in a nano tank (temporarily).
image.jpg
image.jpg

ihateSpirorbids

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, I love trevallys since the day I saw them in a public aquarium. They do get big, and they actually lose a lot of their yellow color as they mature.

How the heck did you ever get one? I might be interested in one in the future when I get a larger tank.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, I love trevallys since the day I saw them in a public aquarium. They do get big, and they actually lose a lot of their yellow color as they mature.

How the heck did you ever get one? I might be interested in one in the future when I get a larger tank.
Thanksgiving week I was in Melbourne FL, one of the local LFS had 2. They said they grow to 2 1/2 feet, :astonished-face:
FishBase says their common size is 75 cm (30 inches) and max size is 120 cm (47 inches). Violet Aquarium LLC offers juveniles which I have been able to see in-person:
1670127948237.png

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive kept one before. they will eat just about anything. they are sensitive when small but once they get to be like 5-6 inches they get pretty hardy. ive seen them around 24” before. once this fish passes 8” it will be virtually impossible to rehome so youve got time if you change your mind. they grow fats too by the way. you are probably looking at doubling in size in the next couple of months. and they lose the majority of their color when big.

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never kept them although I've been lucky enough to go fishing for them and swimming with them in phu cuoc (if you ever wanna see beautiful reefs and coral go here). They tend to bite on shrimp and octopus but I think anything meaty that can fit in their mouths they'll eat

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221203-230836_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20221203-230836_Google.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 37

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanksgiving week I was in Melbourne FL, one of the local LFS had 2. They said they grow to 2 1/2 feet, :astonished-face:
Nahackys? Or Mad Reefer?

I live In Rockledge...Nahackys is my joint. PM me.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never kept them although I've been lucky enough to go fishing for them and swimming with them in phu cuoc (if you ever wanna see beautiful reefs and coral go here). They tend to bite on shrimp and octopus but I think anything meaty that can fit in their mouths they'll eat
The picture provided refers to Selaroides leptolepis instead of Gnathanodon speciosus as in OP's post. Cool looking fish nonetheless :).

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hardest part of these fish as has been noted is the huge aquarium required. As they are pelagic fish, they are constantly swimming, which is a blessing and a curse. Although, with a tank large enough for one, a pelagic shark would be cool to have, as these commonly swim with sharks searching for morsels of food.

Full grown, I dont even know what to say as for an adequate sized aquarium, something cube shaped or circular would probably be best, my shot in the dark assessment would probably be 1500 gallons minimum for adult?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back