Goniapora Trouble

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I came here to get some help with my goni. He hasn’t come out in a few days. I have had him for about a week and a half and he has been perfectly fine until 2 days ago. We recently have been doing some 30% water changes in an effort to reduce nitrates. Also just recently changed the lighting on my aqua illumination prime to the saxby preset listed on their website. Maybe it’s not working too well? Just here looking for someone it help me fix this problem hopefully before it is too late... thank you guys!

Last edited:
OP
OP
William Spak

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, here a picture of him can be found
image1.png

image1.jpeg

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe feed it reef roids or do a peroxide or RTN/STN dip? Mine closed up for 2 weeks and had some algae on the frag plug, so I tried removing the algae but all the tissue came off the skeleton :(

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe feed it reef roids or do a peroxide or RTN/STN dip? Mine closed up for 2 weeks and had some algae on the frag plug, so I tried removing the algae but all the tissue came off the skeleton :(
Goni are hard to keep happy/alive

OP
OP
William Spak

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think it varies by species. I have two, both from ASD. One is a short tentacle that just does ok. The other is bright green and has been thriving since day one. Mine likes moderate flow and lowwe light

Ok... mine has been out and flowing like crazy before.. so maybe it’s not the short tentacle? Idk I just hope it’s ok!

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been hearing reed-roids are good. Should I use those?
Thanks!
That works good. Try mixing some reef roids with reef nutrition oyster feast. If you turn the pumps off and feed that mixture then it will sit over the coral like a cloud.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always had trouble keeping goniopora. I spoke to someone about it at Reefapalooza and learned a few things. Namely that most goniopora is raised at about 8dkh. I keep mine at about 9.5-10. Also, I think I was putting them in a high light area. I think they like more filtered or shaded light. I’m not sure if any of that is correct but there it is.

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the adequate conditions to keep one alive? Thank you for the help by the way.

I'm not sure, but there is variability between species. Mine was a green with long polyps, but further identification would require cutting the skeleton. Seems like most recommend high nutrients or frequent feedings. I fed 1-2x per week, so perhaps feed every other day?

My parameters during the period the goni retracted: 0.05-0.1ppm phosphate, 7.5-18.5ppm nitrate, 8.3 alk. The only change was my phosphate, which I brought down from 0.18ppm.

OP
OP
William Spak

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure, but there is variability between species. Mine was a green with long polyps, but further identification would require cutting the skeleton. Seems like most recommend high nutrients or frequent feedings. I fed 1-2x per week, so perhaps feed every other day?

My parameters during the period the goni retracted: 0.05-0.1ppm phosphate, 7.5-18.5ppm nitrate, 8.3 alk. The only change was my phosphate, which I brought down from 0.18ppm.

Should I order some reef-roofs? If so, should I mix it with anything else? Maybe the Polyp booster they sell? Thanks.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always had trouble keeping goniopora. I spoke to someone about it at Reefapalooza and learned a few things. Namely that most goniopora is raised at about 8dkh. I keep mine at about 9.5-10. Also, I think I was putting them in a high light area. I think they like more filtered or shaded light. I’m not sure if any of that is correct but there it is.
I found that lighting varies with Goniopora. I have some on the sand bed that thrive and I have others either mid tank or at the top of the tank with Acropora getting blasted with light. The ones under higher light grow faster and extend more. Also seems they prefer high nutrient tanks along with high flow.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I order some reef-roofs? If so, should I mix it with anything else? Maybe the Polyp booster they sell? Thanks.
Reef roids work great. Read a good tip somewhere. When you feed try not to blast them too quickly or they will close up. If you feed very gently you will be able to see each polyp grab food then retract

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any small particle food that you have will do, even phyto. It can't hurt and may increase your odds of success.

I found that lighting varies with Goniopora. I have some on the sand bed that thrive and I have others either mid tank or at the top of the tank with Acropora getting blasted with light. The ones under higher light grow faster and extend more. Also seems they prefer high nutrient tanks along with high flow.

Great point! William, where are your goni located (in terms of par and flow)? If you post photos, it may help us give suggestions. Goni do close up after being moved around and take a while to acclimate FYI.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 43.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 42 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back